Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I think I torn the skin on one of my eyes. What should I do

I think I torn the skin on one of my eyes. What should I do right now? Go buy some saline and wash the eye? It looks like I have a contact stuck near my tear duct. But I haven't wore contacts in years. I did laser eye surgery several years ago.

I know you're going to say go see a Opthalmologist. But, I don't have insurance right now and I don't have a doctor at this time.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

What makes you think you tore the skin on your eyes? Did you have any trauma to that eye?

Customer:

Not really. I rubbed my eye a little hard this morning and something wasn't right. tonight I asked my girlfriend to look to see if something was in there she thought she saw a couple eyelashes in it and blew real hard. after a while it didn't get better so I looked closer with a flashlight and saw what looked like a contact lens near my tear duct. I haven't wore contacts in years.

Doctor DanB :

Have the eyes been itchy?

Customer:

I did however have laser eye surgery years ago.

Customer:

Just my right eye. When I blink it feels like something is in there and its bloodshot and watery

Doctor DanB :

I think what you are seeing is the conjunctiva, which is the thin, transparent skin over the white part of the eye....

Doctor DanB :

Normally, the conjunctiva is flat against the surface of the eyeball and so it's not seen very easily. However, the conjunctiva is also exquisitely sensitive to inflammation. It is a very common thing that I see in my practice for someone to rub their eye have this happen to them...

Customer:

Yes that's what I'm thinking. Will it just heal on it's own like when they did the surgery? Should I at least put some saline or something?

Doctor DanB :

What's happening is the rubbing of the eye induces an inflammatory reaction that causes the conjunctiva to swell with fluid and become redundant, folding over on itself, which is why it looks like there's a contact in the eye. You're right, this will heal on its own. I would recommend using artificial tears 3-4x/day in that eye for the next several days to help it feel better while it's healing.

Customer:

So what do I do? Just sleep it off? I can function fine (red eye that's watery) and the vision is fine.

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I would just sleep it off. In the morning you can start putting some artificial tears in there 3-4x/day. You can, if you like, use a cool compress as this will help the eye feel better and can also hasten the resolution of this.

Customer:

Cool. So go to the pharmacy and buy saline or? And, just deal with the uncomfortable eye?

Customer:

So is the "conjunctiva" also called the "skin" of the eye?

Doctor DanB :

No, I wouldn't just deal with it. The pharmacy should have some artificial tears you can buy, like Refresh, or Optive, or Blink, Soothe, etc... Any of those should work fine, but I wouldn't just put saline in the eye, that would probably make it worse. Yes, the conjunctiva is what some people refer to as the ski of the eye.

Customer:

Artificial tears? Like what I used to use with contacts? Eye drops?

Doctor DanB :

Yes, except I wouldn't bother with actual "re-wetting" drops, just plain old artificial tears--any of those brand names I mentioned will work fine.

Customer:

Ok. But, if there was a tear what would be the experience? I thought that might be what it was so I touched it trying to move it towards the center of the eye like you would a contact. Don't ask me why. I think just to see if it would in fact move. I don't think it did move. Like you say it's probably just inflamed...

Customer:

By the way.... I have plenty of REAL tears right now... :-)

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I'm quite sure this is just inflamed tissue which is just redundant now; if you had a tear, your eye would be much more uncomfortable than it is now. As far as having plenty of tears right now, I wouldn't doub it at all! The good thing, though, about getting the artificial tears, though, is that it will serve as lubrication that does not have a bunch of inflammatory mediators floating around that your actual own tears do. Despite having plenty of lubrication right now, your tears are still flled with inflammatory mediators from the reaction you've had. Also, you can try getting some lubricating ophthalmic ointment (such as a Refresh PM or Lacrilube) and put a small amount of that in the eye before you go to bed. That will help coat the eye and make it not so irritating; it's goopy and will blur the vision more so I would wait until right before you go to sleep and in the morning you can just wash it out.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Sure does. One question. Will some if this get rid of the redness? Hate to go to customers with a bloodshot eye.

Customer:

Thanks for your help. They're finding new ways to make the Internet work for us everyday aren't they? :-)

Doctor DanB :

Absolutely, this will help get rid of the redness. You can also consider making this artificial tear you get be the kind that says get-the-red-out, or redness reliever. I wouldn't recommend using this on a chronic basis, but for the next day or so, it would help not only reduce the redness, but help the swelling go down as well, in a quicker fashion. Visine makes one of these.

Doctor DanB :

Oh, I think this site is great because it really fills a need that people have for this intermediate, but immediate level of advice.

Customer:

So where are you located? I'm in So California. What made you do this?

Doctor DanB :

I'm actually in Oregon. Believe it or not, I needed a way to supplement paying off all those school loans and this works great!

Customer:

LOL! Wow. I was just going to say... I'm sure you're not doing it for the money....

Customer:

So I guess we're done right? I just hit "save & exit" and or the Accept button?

Doctor DanB :

I wish I could say that... I have more debt than most third-world nations. It can be overwhelming at times. But I can also honestly say that I have some very gratifying encounters with the customers here on JustAnswer.

Doctor DanB :

Actually, hitting the ACCEPT button, I think will tell the website that you're satisfied and ready to close the encounter.

Customer:

Cool. I know what you mean. A cousin of mine was going through law school at Pepperdine and stopped before he was done. Now he has lots of debt...

Doctor DanB :

Yes, it's a sad fact of professional training. But I love my job and couldn't see doing anything else!

Customer:

Well you're WAY AHEAD of the game then. Debt or not. Have a great evening Doc and thanks for the help.

Doctor DanB :

It's been a pleasure conversing with you tonight and I hope you get back to reasonable functionality quickly without having to scare your customers :). Good luck to you.

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology