Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

HAVE DEVELOPED A BLACK SPOT IN FRONT OF MY RIGHT EYE.

HAVE DEVELOPED A "BLACK SPOT" IN FRONT OF MY RIGHT EYE. IS THERE A WAY TO CORRECT THIS? HAVE HAD IT FOR TWO DAYS
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Do you see flashes of light?

Customer:

no flashes of light. spot moves as I move eyeball

Dr. James :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquefies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying. Over the next few weeks or months, the floater should settle to the bottom of the eye and out of your line of sight.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. It is recommended you have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Customer:

is a hole or a tear as well as retinal detachment as sign of aging???

Dr. James :

It is more common in older people. If you have a retinal hole, tear, detachment, it needs to be repair.

Customer:

how does this happen?

Dr. James :

How does what happen? Retinal holes?

Customer:

and detachment, etc.?

Dr. James :

As I mentioned above, you have a gel material in the middle of your eyes. With age, it starts to get more liquid. As this happens, it can separate from the retina. In some cases as this gel pulls on the retina, it can cause holes, tears, and detachment.

Customer:

thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

do you recommend an eye exam right now?

Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
You can all when your ophthalmologist's office opens to schedule an appointment. If you notice changes with new flashes, increased floaters, or a veil/curtain in your peripheral vision, then you should contact your ophthalmologist after hours.

At this time, it is not an emergency.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.