Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I recently had cataract surgery. Why is my vision worse then

Customer Question

I recently had cataract surgery. Why is my vision worse then before the surgery?
Category: Eye
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 5 years ago.
this depends how long the surgery was and if there is still swelling.
There can be some blurriness normally for a week or two

Sometimes the tissue surrounding the lens implant becomes cloudy and this is a condition called after cataract.

This can be treated with laser and cleared up.

In fact, any such situation after the surgery should prompt a call to the surgeon since about all of them can be treated.
So don't let it need a follow up exam.....if you have an appointment fine, if not do that.

good luck again

Let me know if you have further questions:

Please don’t forget to accept: You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did have a follow up appt the day after surgery. The doctor who did the surgery said it could be corrected with new lenses. I didn't have to wear my glasses all the time before and now am worried I will have to wear them all the time. When I had my other eye done, there was great improvement the day of surgery. I could see everything clearly. Now I am worried because even with my glasses, I can't see clearly and will need to drive to work tomorrow. This is making me crazy. I can't afford to miss work.I do have another appt. with my regular eye doctor a week from today. Should I move this appt. up or just wait to see if things improve?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

I am an ophthalmologist.

When did you have surgery?
Was the vision ever clear after the surgery?
What drops are you using in your eyes now?