Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

will this cause vertical double vision what can cause this and

Customer Question

will this cause vertical double vision what can cause this?
and what causes what looks like a small lake in your vision with ripples and edges that are jagged and multi-colored
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what was the answer?

how do i get it?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about that....must be the Gremlins at work again. :o)

The second issue, the shimmering lake thing, is from an ocular migraine.

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.
Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.
This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Now, as to what can cause vertical double vision. The most common cause is the breakdown in a tendency for double vision (phoria) that "breaks down" for a large number of reasons into a Tropia (double vision) This can sometimes be corrected with glasses or eye exercises.

There are a number of pathological conditions that can cause your eyes to cross and, without an examination of exactly how your eyes are moving, the list is very long and not of much use.

It sounds like your doctor is already starting to do a workup for a few of the causes by ordering a MRA. If you have not been examined by an ophthalmologist I suggest you consult one in addition to your regular MD. If things are complicated being seen by a neuro ophthalmologist is a reasonable thing to do.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

Sorry about the Gremlins eating the other posts :o)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you for the information it is appreciated and yes i do accept this answers it makes me at ease to know that i have taken the proper steps. i hope in the future that i will not need any further assistance but if i do i am glad to know that i can depend on this web site to help me
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.