Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

when i got up this morning i could not see from one eye for

when i got up this morning i could not see from one eye for 3 min
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Was the vision completely gone....like a grey cloud? Did it come and go with blinking?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Customer:

yes , for 3 min my vision was gone

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you had something called amaurosis fugax

Customer:

no did not come and go with a blink

Dr. Rick :

Amaurosis fugax is the transient loss of vision in one eye. It has many causes and, in the early 1990's, a study called the Amaurosis Fugax Study Group defined and grouped them to help with diagnosis and treatment of this problem.

What can cause AF? It can be due to an embolism, problems with the blood, problems with the eye itself or, sometimes due to no cause we can figure out (idiopathic). I would be happy to go through all the different diagnostic possibilities in each of these categories but I don't think that is the best use of your time.....you need to know what to do.

AF is a symptom that something serious is wrong. It can be a warning that you are heading toward a dangerous vascular event such as a TIA, stroke or even death. It is important for you to see your ophthalmologist and possibly your internal medicine physician ASAP. What will they do? A complete history and physical, a complete eye examination, maybe a fluorescein angiogram of your retina, laboratory tests, possibly ultrasound of your carotid arteries or an CT/MRI of your head.

Treatment depends on what is found on the above workup.

I can not stress enough the need for you to be seen for a complete exam as soon as possible.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes , could be blood pressure

Dr. Rick :

Yes, if you have bad problems with BP that could be a contributing factor

Customer:

but i am only 26 years old ,at my age could i have blood pressure

Dr. Rick :

yes. It is true that you are very young for the above conditions, but when your vision just "turns off" for three minutes it is nothing to ignore. Maybe next time it will not turn back on.....

Dr. Rick :

Even though you are young I still believe it is important for you to get in to see an ophthalmologist ASAP. If you call them and tell them what happened I bet that they will "squeeze" you into the schedule quickly.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Customer:

i thank you .very much.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I see that you have reviewed all of my posts above. Is there something else you would like to discuss?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure. I hope this turns out to be nothing serious.

It is now safe to press that Pretty Green Button so that my poor, starving, barefoot, daughters(two of which are around your age and very cute) can buy new shoes and, once again, feel safe from the mean, nasty snakes, as they walk through the tall grass.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest