Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a twitchy eye now and again that has been going on for

I have a twitchy eye now and again that has been going on for over a week but also i am experiencing some pain in my left temple and above my eyelid and across the top of my eye, it is a sharp stabbing pain that lasts anything from 2-5 mins, its not excruciating but annoys and worries me.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause of your symptoms is called myokymia. Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.

The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.

Dr. Rick :

I would try OTC meds for the pain in your temple. If it continues you might want to see your regular MD for a complete exam.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes thank you, XXXXX XXXXX pain that worries me most of all, sometimes im getting that without the twitching...i am a worrier!

Dr. Rick :

I can understand that.....my wife is the same way :o)

Dr. Rick :

I don't think the pain is a sign of anything terrible. Remember. Brain tumors almost never hurt! lol!

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

oh thank goodness for that! i imagine the worry doesnt help the problem! :) thank you so much

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a great week.