Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello, Last November I developed a red itchy swollen right

Last November I developed a red itchy swollen right eye while working in SD on cellular radio sites located in cattle fields / farms.
The eye would be very itchy and the lower white sclera was red.
I finally went to a med tech and was told it was pinkeye, given an antibiotic and ketorolac.
Long story short, it helped the itching but I also had a swollen lacrimal gland, my eye wouldnt make tears and my vision has a little haze in that eye now.
I went ot an eye clinic in my home town and they didn't know why it was happening, gave me a steriod version of ketorolac and i took a blood test, they also req an MRI ocular something. Well, I got a call before the MRI was scheduled and was told the Dr found I had Epstein-Barr and cancelled the MRI.
I still have the redness and vision haziness but lacrimal is now not swollen and tears are produced but not easily.
Any ideas on what is going on with my eye?
I would like to see clearly again. My primary physician referred me to the Eye Clinic spoken of above.
Thank you,
Tom Mayse
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Ok hello.

Dr. Rick :

hi

Customer:

Can you see my write-up?

Dr. Rick :

Yes

Dr. Rick :

I am glad that your primary care MD has, finally, thought to send you to an ophthalmologist. I don't do heart attacks and always wonder why they want to do eyes ;o)

Customer:

Ok. I'm getting pretty concerned as to how long it has persisted and my vision being a bit cloudy in that eye, etc.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe you have pink eye or some rare disease from the cell phone towers....although they do cause cancer, 'ya know (if we are to believe recent reports)

Customer:

Yes, I understand.

Dr. Rick :

I also think the EBV finding is a red herring.

Customer:

Ok like some auto-immune problem?

Dr. Rick :

I bet you are suffering from some type of anterior segment/external eye issue such as allergies, dry eyes and blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

I would try some simple at home treatments while you wait to get in to see the ophthalmologist......

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Well, last time I was at the opthalmologist, I got the steroid drops and see you in 90 days.

Dr. Rick :

Ya, steroids are the "go to" treatment.....makes everyone feel better, but rarely solves the underlying problem......sorta like capturing pirates at sea without bombing their bases.

Dr. Rick :

I bet you will feel better if you give the lid scrubs and warm soaks a try

Customer:

Then the lacrimal finally kept shrinking back down. Now if my eye really stings from forcibly keeping eyelids open then it will teat really well. But I have the hazy vision still and nothing seems to work but I havent put soap in it if it is a stubborn film on my cornea or something from all the months of dryness???

Customer:

I will go get baby shampoo and scrub the eyelids ok.

Dr. Rick :

OK. I really think it will help you. Don't cancel the eye doc appointment though.....never hurts to get a complete eye exam.....and hey, you might get another free bottle of Pred Forte :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.