Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

centre of my vision in my left eye that takes a while to adjust

I have an area in the centre of my vision in my left eye that takes a while to adjust to light changes. It looks a bit like when a flash has gone off. I have had this for 6 days now. The area was circular on the first day but on the second day grew a little larger and was more egg shaped. It has remained the same since then.

I have been on an intensive course, which has been very stressful. Would this have anything to do with it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hello?

Dr. Rick :

Hi

Customer:

Have you seen my question?

Dr. Rick :

By a flash going off, do you mean to say you have been seeing flashes of light?

Customer:

No like the after effects of a flash going off. with an area lighter than the rest.

Dr. Rick :

Does this area that take time to adjust to light changes seem like you are looking through a curtain/shade? Has it caused your vision to decrease?

Dr. Rick :

Ok

Customer:

My vision isn't quite as defined in this area but not changed much.

Customer:

If I am outside. I hardly notice it.

Dr. Rick :

does this area move around when you move your eye, or does it stay in the same spot, as if you were looking through a rifle scope?

Customer:

It moves with my eye. It's as if that portion of my vision is taking longer to adapt to changing light intensities.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems, like diabetes etc?

Dr. Rick :

Also, I don't believe that being on an intensive course is the cause of this issue.

Customer:

No. None. I had a head injury back in 2004. but with no after effects at all.

Customer:

I have been using my laptop a lot?

Dr. Rick :

nope, laptop use wouldn't do that .......

Customer:

I thought so as it's only one eye

Dr. Rick :

I believe that the problem is going to be found in your retina. I know in the UK it is hard to get in to see an ophthalmologist but I believe you need a complete eye exam with particular attention paid to an area of your retina called the macula.

Customer:

Could this be permanent? I am a commercial helicopter pilot. So am very worried about this?

Dr. Rick :

I've worked with pilots in the USA........do not tell anyone involved in your licensing about this until you have had a complete eye exam.....it's a can of worms you don't want to open unless you have to.

Customer:

For sure.

Dr. Rick :

It is hard to tell if it will be permanent until the pathology can be found. It could be something called central serious chorioretinopathy.......which goes away with time.....

Dr. Rick :

Or it could be other things......as a retina specialist myself I think you would, as a pilot, be best served by seeing a retina doc if at all possible.

Customer:

Will I make it worse by leaving it another week before I get it checked out?

Dr. Rick :

And, in my opinion, you are the best judge of whether you are safe to fly right now....depth perception is kinda important in your line of work :)

Customer:

I've been flying and haven't noticed the blob at all.

Dr. Rick :

That question makes me nervous.......I'd feel better if you had it checked out sooner rather then later.

Customer:

It's more apparent indoors

Dr. Rick :

That is good. Maybe it will just turn out to be something simple

Dr. Rick :

Don't fly indoors then ;o)

Customer:

So would I but I have a flying course and test until Thursday.

Customer:

I'll do my best not to enter any buildingS!

Dr. Rick :

OK, but start the process of getting an appointment now, just make it for after your test.

Dr. Rick :

I've never been in a helicopter....looks like a lot of fun

Customer:

Okay. Do you have any other ideas of what it could be or are you fairly certain that this is what it is?

Customer:

Helicopters are 10 times more fun than planes. 10 times harder to control too!

Dr. Rick :

No, that was just one thought in what is a large list of my differential diagnosis. Without actually looking at you it is hard to practice ophthalmology, but it is definitely something that should be checked out by an eye doc

Dr. Rick :

That's what I've been heard.....and they fly like a rock when they loose power....

Customer:

Okay I'll book an appointment pronto!

Customer:

They don't fly like a rock. They glide like a sycamore seed.

Dr. Rick :

ok. Good luck on your test. Mum is the word until you see the eye doc. Tell no one!

Dr. Rick :

oh......

Customer:

A steep glide sure but under control you can still land in a tennis court without an engine!

Customer:

Okay thanks. For the help.

Dr. Rick :

The folks at Wimbulton wouldn't much care for that lol!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Might make a mess of the grass.

Dr. Rick :

aim for the clay courts

Customer:

Wilco

Dr. Rick :

Have a great day and let me know how things turn out if you have a chance.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Bye
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest