Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello, I am feeling dull pain within my eye after getting

I am feeling dull pain within my eye after getting a direct hit in my eye from one of my watering emitters on my watering system. The water was full on. The emitter is about 1/8 diameter and was about 24 inches from my face as I was bending down to tend to it. The hose popped off, and I got a direct hit in my eye. The imediate pain was enough to make me jump back and cover my eye with my hand. I can see out of it now, but it still hurts. There was liquid fertilizer mixed in the water, also.

Would saline drops help it? Should I do anything else for it?

Nancy
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There should be no problem with having the liquid fertilizer mixed in with the water as long as it was a fairly dilute concentration. If it was more concentrated, say enough to lower the pH of the water, then you could have gotten a chemical burn that would require evaluation and treatment in the ER. In my experience mixed in fertilizer is not strong enough to normally cause a problem from this standpoint.

Dr. Rick :

The force of the water, however, may have given you a corneal abrasion. This should heal within 24 hours without any problems. I suggest you place some bland ointment, such as lacrilube, in your eye, put an ice pack on it and then keep it closed.

Dr. Rick :

If you think there could have been dirt or any other foreign body in the powerful stream of water it might be a good idea to go to the ER to make sure nothing is stuck in your cornea, or worse, has entered your eye. From what you have posted I do not think that is the case but since you are not currently at your computer I thought I'd mention this slight risk....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.