Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello, I am feeling dull pain within my eye after getting

I am feeling dull pain within my eye after getting a direct hit in my eye from one of my watering emitters on my watering system. The water was full on. The emitter is about 1/8 diameter and was about 24 inches from my face as I was bending down to tend to it. The hose popped off, and I got a direct hit in my eye. The imediate pain was enough to make me jump back and cover my eye with my hand. I can see out of it now, but it still hurts. There was liquid fertilizer mixed in the water, also.

Would saline drops help it? Should I do anything else for it?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There should be no problem with having the liquid fertilizer mixed in with the water as long as it was a fairly dilute concentration. If it was more concentrated, say enough to lower the pH of the water, then you could have gotten a chemical burn that would require evaluation and treatment in the ER. In my experience mixed in fertilizer is not strong enough to normally cause a problem from this standpoint.

Dr. Rick :

The force of the water, however, may have given you a corneal abrasion. This should heal within 24 hours without any problems. I suggest you place some bland ointment, such as lacrilube, in your eye, put an ice pack on it and then keep it closed.

Dr. Rick :

If you think there could have been dirt or any other foreign body in the powerful stream of water it might be a good idea to go to the ER to make sure nothing is stuck in your cornea, or worse, has entered your eye. From what you have posted I do not think that is the case but since you are not currently at your computer I thought I'd mention this slight risk....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.