Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

got hit in the eye wednesday by a rock thrown from lawnmower,

got hit in the eye wednesday by a rock thrown from lawnmower, It hurts, feels scratchy and blurry at times others I see like little shadows passing by just in that eye. I had laser surgery about 1 year ago. Could this be dangerous?

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

Hello. Are you there to chat?

It appears that you have gone offline so I will give you my answer for your perusal when you return. Yes, having a projectile like a rock flung at your eye at high velocity by heavy machinery can certainly be dangerous. This event can cause anything from a scratch on the cornea or conjunctiva (which it sounds like you may have given your symptoms), to traumatic inflammation inside the eye, bleeding inside the eye, the creation of new floaters (spots in your vision from jelly detaching from the back of the eye), tears in the retina, lacerations of the eyeball, and/or a retinal detachment.

This kind of an event is especially dangerous for someone like yourself who has already undergone some type of eye surgery, which weakens the eye forever more and makes any of these complications more likely. I think as long as your symptoms are confined to just the scratchy, irritated feelings you're having, you can continue to use the Systane artificial tears to lubricate the eye and observe this. If you are having significant vision loss, if you see floating dots or spots in the vision that may or may not be accompanied by flashing or arcing lights, if you have significant eye redness and pain, or if you notice a curtain or veil in the periphery of your vision that you can't see through, then these are reasons to see your eye doctor ASAP.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am available for chat now do you think I could wait till Monday will I be ok?
I think as long as there is no vision changes and none of the other signs I mentioned, then you're probably okay waiting until Monday. If they do develop, however, then you need to find your eye doctor right away.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very grateful for your reply. Happy Fathers day
You're welcome and thank you!