Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

I have physiological cupping and mu eye pressure is 17. I am

I have physiological cupping and mu eye pressure is 17. I am a diabetic for 10 years. My Opthlamologist prescribed pressure reducing eye drops. Is she doing the right thing even though the upper limit for eye pressure is 22?Thank you.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : yes. there is more to a diagnosis of glaucoma then oressure
JACUSTOMER-4vb5yovg- :

I don't have Glaucoma though. I was born that way

JACUSTOMER-4vb5yovg- :

My father ( an optholomologist) says I have physiological cupping.

JACUSTOMER-4vb5yovg- :

He feels that I do until we meet the pressure of 22, we don't need pressure relieving drops.

JACUSTOMER-4vb5yovg- :

Hello Doctor. Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-4vb5yovg- :

Should I do something now? Can you see my chat?

JACUSTOMER-4vb5yovg- :

Typing mistake. Sorry. My father feels that I don't need pressure relieving drops until pressure reaches 22. He is a retired optholomologist.

A physiological cupping of the disc is present in absence of glaucoma. But usually in patients of physiological cupping to be sure to rule out glaucoma a visual field test is done.
Your father is right that the upper limit for intraocular pressure is 22. But there is something called a normal tension glaucoma. In this category of patients, a person can have glaucoma even if the pressure is within normal range i.e. below 22. In such cases a normal pressure is also harmful to the optic disc. So a further lowering of pressure is required. Such cases are diagnosed by getting a visual field test done. If this test is normal in your case, then there would be no need to worry.
So, I would advise you to get this test done to be 100% sure.
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)