Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

About 4 weeks ago, I begin to experience double vision looking

About 4 weeks ago, I begin to experience double vision looking downward and to the left. No problem look looking straight ahead and to the right. At the beginning I had an ache to the right side of my temple, but it went away after 2 or 3 days. I am 70 years old and about 45 years ago, I had Bell's Palsey on my right side of the face. I wonder if my double vision is realted to the Bells Palsey and if it just takes time for the nerve(s) to heal?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Has the double vision resolved?

Customer:

no

Dr. James :

Do you have any headache? Scalp pain? Pain while eating?

Customer:

no, everything is painless at this time, but the double vision continues. I can't say that it has improved..hard to measure.

Dr. James :

Any change in blurry vision beside the double vision?

Customer:

There is blurriness on the borders of where the double vision begins and the single vision ends and vice versa.

Dr. James :

If you cover one eye, how is the vision?
Then the other eye?

Customer:

If I cover the right eye, I see the one vision that is higher than the other. When I cover the left eye, I see the vision that is lower than the other.

Dr. James :

But they are clear?

Customer:

yes

Dr. James :

To answer your question, I don't believe your current problems are related to the Bell's palsy.

Dr. James :

It appears there is weakness of one of the nerves that go to your eye muscle.

Dr. James :

Most likely the 4th cranial nerve, of there there are 12 cranial nerves total.

Customer:

What do you think is the problem?

Dr. James :

You will need to see an ophthalmologist to confirm this and examine your eyes.

Customer:

In your experience, is this something that clears up in time?

Dr. James :

It is possible.

Dr. James :

It may take 4-6 months however to the nerve to strengthen again.

Customer:

The reason I got to your website is because I googled eye exercises. The website gave some exercises. Do you think this might speed up the process?

Dr. James :

Not usually in my experience. If it is a nerve weakness problem, then time will allow it to strengthen again.

Customer:

Thank you. I will accept your expert statements

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon