Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

After using a free sample eye drop,e.g.Optive Refresh, my left

After using a free sample eye drop,e.g.Optive Refresh, my left eye discharged fairly thick mucus, white in color, about double the size of a normal tear. I was given a collection of free samples of different eye drops. As a rule I have used Systane. I have never had this happen before. the eyedrops were clear. Is there a connection between this discharge and the drusen under the optic nerve? could this be a serious problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. I'm here to help you with your concerns. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

I don't believe that the thick, white mucus has any connection to the optic nerve drusen. I think that this was a condensation of the Optive Refresh drop with your tears to produce that conglomerate.

Doctor DanB :

There are so many different types of artificial tears on the market that they each have fairly distinct viscosities, colors, and sensations to meet the needs of different people. Some people need and like the thicker viscosity of the Optive Refresh, but then many people do not need or like it, which I imagine you don't.