Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hello -- I have a question about a chronic conjunctivitis infection

Hello -- I have a question about a chronic conjunctivitis infection I've had in my right eye for 2 years now. When it started 2 years ago, my optometrist tried Tobradex and Lotemax several times for about three months. The hurting, burning, and tearing got worse with each medication. After four months, he sent me to an opthalmologist for a culture -- supposedly, the result was chlamydia in my right eye only. (Left eye has been fine throughout this process.) I was then prescribed Doxycycline orally, but the eye really only got better once I stopped all the other eyedrops and switched to Systane Ultra four times a day. I also take iOmega fish oil capsules. (I do wear contacts, but I quit completely during those four months.) Back in April of this year, the right eye flared up with a vengeance. I'm back on Doxycycline and my optometrist also tried Moxexa and Bromday, but those just seemed to irritate the eye even more. Last week he put me back on Tobradex, but honestly, it's killing my right eye and I am afraid to keep using it. I am truly at my wit's end and am miserable with this right eye. I'm doubtful about the chlamydia diagnosis...I am also washing both eyes nightly with baby shampoo to cleanse the eyelids thoroughly. Can you give me any advice or suggestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

I'm here to help you with your question. Are you there?

Customer:

I am, thanks!

Doctor DanB :

I think one of the first things to think about when dealing with your condition is the possibility that you have a sensitivity and/or allergic reaction to tobramycin (the active antibiotic in tobradex and lotemax). That could explain why your eye finally improved the first time once you stopped those drops.

Customer:

I actually thought the same thing and I brought that up with my optometrist. It sounds as if I should bring it up again; he did think I had a similar reaction to Moxexa and Bromday.

Doctor DanB :

I, too, have to doubt the chlamydia because it is very sensitive to oral antibiotics and should've been taken care of by your oral course the first time.

Customer:

Thank you. Also, this last time, I've been on Doxycycline again since May 19.

Doctor DanB :

Something else is that this may not be an infectious conjunctivitis, but it could be a corneal problem related to contact lens use which can be subtle and very easily overlooked by someone who doesn't have the experience to look for these kinds of inflamamations. In my experience, most ophthalmologists are going to catch something like this, but many optometrists won't.

Doctor DanB :

To that end, I think you should cut bait with the optometrist and go get examined by an ophthalmologist as a second opinion. There are many things that can masquerade as a chronic conjunctivitis and these kinds of issues are best sorted out with the medical doctor versus the O.D.

Customer:

That's a distinct possibility. I've worn soft contacts for a long time...I am currently wearing AirOptix (should note that I haven't been wearing them for at least a month. I've been thinking the opthalmologist for quite a while.

Customer:

An awkward question -- should I ask my optometrist for a referral?

Doctor DanB :

That's a good question...Unless you think your optometrist is an absolute dynamo with no ego and wouldn't take offense at it, I would just ask friends and/or family for a referral. Otherwise, I can actually give you a list of some ophthalmologists in your area.

Customer:

I would very much welcome a list. Thank you!

Doctor DanB :

Sure thing. Where are you located (city/state)?

Customer:

Emporia, Kansas. Zip is 66801. We're about 50 miles from Topeka, 70 miles from Wichita, and 80 miles from the Kansas City area.

Doctor DanB :

Okay, give me just a couple of minutes here.

Customer:

Thanks!

Doctor DanB :

Okay, here are two ophthalmologists in your area that you can see:

Wayne Anliker, MD

1602 W 15th Ave Ste B
Emporia, KSNNN-NN-NNNN
Ph:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Mike G. Reynolds, MD

1602 W. 15th Ave. Ste. B

Emporia, KSNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

I'm thinking I will check with Dr. Reynolds. I do have some friends who have gone to him; mainly, I wanted a bit more confirmation that I should go to an ophthalmologist next. It's been a rather awkward situation with my optometrist; I feel that he's tried everything he could think of, but when the chlamydia diagnosis came up, I thought, "What?????"

Doctor DanB :

Yeah, I agree. I think it's time to cut bait and get a more informed opinion. I suspect that you will get better with his help. Do you have any other questions I can help you with?

Customer:

One more -- should I continue at this point with the Tobradex and Doxycycline until I can secure an appointment? (Tobradex right now -- two times daily in the right eye; Doxycycline -- two capsules per day.) I feel as if I should stop the Tobradex b/c it's really making my right eye raw.

Doctor DanB :

I agree. I would do is stop the tobradex and maybe continue with the doxycycline and just use artificial tears 4-5x/day. That will give the ophthalmologist a more clear picture of what is going on in your eye.

Customer:

Sounds good. The artificial tears are soothing, and then I can go from there. Thank you so much! You really helped me feel better emotionally and confirmed that I wasn't off-track to think something else is going on with the eye. Have a great weekend.

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology