Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Last night, my baby accidentally stuck her finger in my eye.

Customer Question

Last night, my baby accidentally stuck her finger in my eye. and it hurt and watered through the night. I can't see a scratch, but today, it's so red and I can't keep it open. I have some Vigamox from a n infected tear duct a couple of months ago. Should I use it? or go to a doctor? If a doctor, should I go to an optometrist or opthalmologist? You should know, I can see through it when it'll stay open.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

It is most likely to be a corneal abrasion. It is not possible to see a corneal scratch with the naked eye and requires a magnified equipment like the slit lamp to have a good view of it( or even staining it will help). You can start putting preservative free lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for the next 3-4 days. Keeping the eye patched after applying lubricating eye ointment such as Lacrilube , for 24 hours helps in quick healing of the abrasion. Usually the superficial layer of the cornea gets healed within 24 hours. Yes, you can put vigamox eye drops if the redness continues after 24 hours of patching . Just ensure that the eye drops bottle is fresh and not a opened bottle prior to one month( as there can be a risk of contamination). With the old prescription if you can buy a new bottle the it is fine.

Persistence of pain and redness even after frequent lubricating eye drops , 1 day of patching and a week of vigamox eye drops , should be evaluated in detail by an ophthalmologist.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions , if any.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How many drops and how often should the Vigamox be administered, if needed?
Thank you! Your answer is very helpful.
Vigamox eye drops can be instilled in the dose of 1 drop every 2 hours( only waking hours and not during sleep), for 1 week.