Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I followed your advice and had a brain scan which proved to

I followed your advice and had a brain scan which proved to be normal and a carotid artery doppler which I am awaiting my doctor to advise me about. In any event, I now have clearly determined how to make this eye phenomenon occur. If I bend down so as to really lower my head as in using a back extension machine wherein you are suppoprted at the waist and then bend down with your arms extended to the floor with your head upside down , when I arise, the eye difficulty occurs. I have tried this several times, and as long as I am upside down for about four or five seconds, it will occur. It dissipates after a few seconds when I cause it to happen this way. What do youthink is happening to my eye?

Dr. Rick :

Now that you have figured out how to make the events happen -- stop doing it :)

Dr. Rick :

Until, that is, you get in your doctors office and then do it for her......

Dr. Rick :

I think you are having an issue with blood flow to your your eye. This is very serious as it can cause other things to loose blood flow...like your brain. I'm glad you were persistent in seeking answers when none were forthcoming.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please let me know how you are doing and what the tests show.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Dr. Rick: Since we last communicated, I have had a retinal examination which proved to be normal, I also have had a 24 hour monitor on my heart (Ihave a pacemaker) and that showed nothing unusual. I have had a stress test, carotid artery doppler sonogram, cranial doppler sonogram, and cat scan of my brain. All test results are normal. I am now scheduled for a fluoroscene (not sure of the spelling but is result of an injection of dye) angiogram of my both eyes. The last doctor (a neurologist) suggested that, to be followed by one other more complicated test if that reveals nothing, the name of which I do not recall. The disturbing thing is that the loss of sight episodes are more frequent now. I am also struggling to appreciate the connection between two physical activities which always can cause this loss of sight to occur. It also occurs at other random times without any physical activity that I can identify. The two activities, are first, if I am upside down for more that a few seconds, when I come upright it happens. The second is when after being sedate for a period, I then rise and climb some steep stairs. When reaching the landing, I must sit down and rest because I am so fatigued and light headed, and the sight thing happens every time. The technician for the stress test said he thought that upside down, the return of blood supply from the eye could be slower, and when at the top of the stairs, the supply of blood supply to the eye could also be lesser. Do you have any idea as to what is happening? G. Tucci In a message dated 6/9/2011 4:50:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,[email protected] writes:
http://mail.justanswer.com/track?mailingid=CMNtfyE2C&messageid=577&databaseid=0&type=click&serial=634432485330962957&emailid=XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX&userid=60333360&extra=&&&1&&&http://www.justanswer.com/eye-health/53wu7-followed-advice-brain-scan-proved.html?L=T&jats=54041-60333360-220113-15817&utm_source=sys&utm_medium=email&utm_content=crev3_jalogo&utm_campaign=ChatNotify&r=ems|2011-06-09|577I've answered your Eye question
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not yet received an answer to my last communication shown above.
Hi. I've been in the middle of the mountains and completely offline, no cell phone, no computer, no TV. But, I'm now back in the rat race....
I don't know if you have had the further studies you mentioned above yet but I believe that this is going to end being an issue with blood flow, vessel constriction etc. I'm glad you have managed to get some excellent physicians involved in this issue and that many important studies have come back negative. There is a chance that the cause of your symptoms may not be found on this round of testing but I am hopeful that the underlying pathology will be found.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I stated all the tests i had done except the fluoresein angiogram. When I went to the retina specialist he told me.that the pressure in my left eye was 40 instead of 20 as it normally was and should be. He attributed this finding to the lateness of the day when he measured it and said most all of the other times the measurements by various doctors were in the morning and that would account for the difference. He said he thoujght I had Possner schlosser syndrone (may be spelled wrong) which essentially is intermittent glaucoma. He gave me combigan drops to take for the eye pressure and told me to check back with my regular eye doctor and also to call him after a few days to see if the eye loss stopped. So far, after one and a half days, it has. The only problem is that when I look that malady up in the internet, the symtoms don't match. For example it says it lasts for a few weeks at a time, mine is seconds or minutes. iI also says if attacks persons between 30 and 50, and I am over eighty. There are no symptoms stated that match mine.

I am becoming convinced that I may have two separate but related probllems, one the eye and the other dizziiness and sshortnesss of breath after moving from at rest to motion especially climbing stairs.

It is entirely possible that you have two conditions working together to cause your problem however, as you are finding out, us physicians like to boil it down to one issue....this may not be possible in your case.

PS syndrome is a good thought and if starting combigan has decreased your symptoms that is very good. I do, however, that this would be an atypical (but not unheard of) diagnosis in someone your age and with symptoms of such short duration.

Let me know how things turn out as things move forward. Sorry about the delay in getting back to you....me and my teenage boys have just been in Yellowstone National Park for the past few weeks -- it was a blast!