Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I am a white male, 41 years of age. I have had a recurring

Customer Question

I am a white male, 41 years of age. I have had a recurring chalazion -- in the same spot -- for the past 5 years. I suffer from rosacea, and ocular rosacea, but for the most part keep it under control with a small dose of Doxycycline taken daily. (50 to 100mg.) On ocassion, I try to give my body a break by going of the Doxy for a week. The last time I did this, 2 weeks ago, I got my first chalazion in the same spot, in over 2 years! It is so frustrating.

My quesitons are:
1. What is the best way to longterm prevent chalazia? (Right now my regimen is only the doxy)
2. When you fear you are coming down with one, how can you best head them off at the pass? (I am fighting one now, and doubled my doxy, do 5-7 four-minute warm compresses per day, and use 1 drop of Fucithalmic Viscous Eye drops 2x per day)
3. Should I develop another chalazion, what is your recommendation for treating it?

Thanks,
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Before we discuss your issue further, I guess you should be briefed about why chalazia occur. There are tiny sebaceous glands in the eyelids called as meibomian glands.

JACUSTOMER-1hsihdk9- :

I am just stepping out a t the moment... (But I know all about them so do not need a breifing.)

JACUSTOMER-1hsihdk9- :

I am trying to edit my description to give a little more detail at the moment...

JACUSTOMER-1hsihdk9- :

So I need to stop chatting for now. :)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Chalazion occurs when one of the meibomian gland duct gets blocked and inflammed. This results in the sebaceous secretions getting pent up. Ok since you are well verse with the mechanism then we can skip this part. Ok, but do you want me to stand by?

JACUSTOMER-1hsihdk9- :

No need to stand by at the moment. Thanks. Sorry, I don't see how to edit my description and accidentally kepe coming back here...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case I shall exit the chat. But do you want to keep the question open still or do you want to close it?

JACUSTOMER-1hsihdk9- :

I want the quesiton to be open for people to answer. And I will review it later.

JACUSTOMER-1hsihdk9- :

(Currently, I am not allowed to even edit it because I think you have locked it!!)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You want me to unlock it ?

JACUSTOMER-1hsihdk9- :

Will unlockingit allow others to see it and possibly ansswer? If yes, yes, please unlock. :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I want to be more selective about who answers me. (I am new to the website, and never intended to get "locked in" to this particular doctor.)
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. I am an ophthalmologist and treat these chalazia on a daily basis. I would be happy to help you with your concerns.

For persons such as yourself who get these recurrent chalazia, it is often accompanied by an eyelid inflammation called blepharitis. The inflammation in the eyelid from blepharitis causes poor functioning oil glands and can predispose to chalazia. In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done.

It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working.

For anyone with recurrent chalazia, these treatments are a necessary baseline. I also recommend for my patients to use the doxycycline as little as possible to help keep them away, but some people such as yourself need it more than others. You may consider trying doxycycline 20mg twice daily. The brand name for this concentration is called Periostat (used in dental procedures). At this lower dosage you still get the effects on the oil glands, but less of the bacterial killing properties that may lead to bacterial resistance.

Lastly, taking a daily omega-three fatty acid supplement can also help thin the oil secretions which can help decrease the incidence of these chalazia.

You may be someone with such active problems with this that a nightly or every other nightly steroid/antibiotic dose put into the eye (drop or ointment form) may be necessary as well.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.