Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had retinal detachment surgery one month ago and now have

I had retinal detachment surgery one month ago and now have a scleral buckle. I have noticed a football shadow on the lower nasal corner of my eye but at the last appointment, the MD said the retina was in place. Today I now have a shadow appearing at the top area of my eye and some flashing along the edge of the shadow. I don't know if this indicates the retina is again becoming detached or what is happening.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

Are you there?

yes, now I am

Doctor DanB :

While I cannot comment on exactly what you were seeing before regarding a football-shaped shadow (perhaps this was contour associated with the buckle), but a new shadow with flashing along the edge of it is very likely a sign that the retina could be detaching again. The other possibility is that this could be a migraine, but even if you have a history of migraines, this is still too important a diagnosis to miss. I would recommend going in to see your surgeon as soon as you can.

I am waiting for their office to open but does this mean more surgery if that is happening?

Doctor DanB :

If this is detaching, then very possibly, yes, it does.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions or concerns I can help you with?

I would like a referral to an opthamologist (retina specialist) in the Seattle are if possible

Doctor DanB :

Please give me a moment and I can find a few for you.

Doctor DanB :

Here are a few you can choose from:

1. Samuel Barloon, MD

Ste 207
4915 25th Ave NE

Scot A. Brower, MD

Ste 600
1101 Madison St

Elaine L. Chuang, MD

Harborview Medical Center

Box 359608
325 Ninth Ave

David N. Drucker, MD

Ste 105
1530 N 115th St

Doctor DanB :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

no, thank you.

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.