Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

my 1 year old son has had a red eye for about 3 weeks now.

Customer Question

my 1 year old son has had a red eye for about 3 weeks now. I've been to the doctor and hospital twice in different occassions. They have both given me anitbicatis and eye drops however is goes away but after a few days the eye is red again. He now has the runs, votimiting and has an ear infection.  He also gags when he sees and eats anything.  Is this normal? I'm a very concerned mother. Please help!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Was your son examined by an eye doctor at the hospital or by the pediatrician?

Which antibiotic eye drops was prescribed for the red eye?

Does he seem to be rubbing his eyes too often than before?

Does he have known allergies such as frequent cold or rashes?

Is the redness present in both eyes or only in one eye? Is it associated with any discharge or watering?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, my son was examined by his pediatrician and a doctor at the hospital. Not a eye doctor. This may be my next step.

I don't have the drops with me, so don't know what it's called.

He rubbs his eyes more then often.

He did break out in a rash (on his legs) a few days ago. No cold. The rash is now gone.

What also concerns me is that he has an ear infection too and doesn't want to eat. Perpahs he has a thoart infection too? but wouldn't the anitbiotics clear this?

It started with his left eye for about 2 weeks ago. What worried me was the the right was getting red too. Now with taking the antibiotic the right eye is clear but the left is still red. No discharge or watering.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Since the given eye drops were antibiotic eye drops , it would have helped if it were to be acute bacterial conjunctivitis. But the fact that his eyes are still red inspite of the antibiotic eye drops ( along with history of known allergies in the form of skin rashes), I feel that there could be a lurking allergic conjunctivitis. The treatment is in the form of olopatadine( Pataday) eye drops , 1 drop twice a day( prescription eye drops ) to be put for 2-3 weeks. I think it would be the right step to get his eyes examined by an ophthalmologist next as a closer look will help in the formation of a proper diagnosis.

As for the refusal to take food, it could be more from the ear and throat infection ( and not from the eye issue at all). A short course of oral antibiotics for a week will help in this treatment( as recommended by the pediatrician).

Please feel free to ask follow up questions , if any.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist