Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

A few days ago I developed an upper eyelidd twitch, or what

A few days ago I developed an upper eyelidd twitch, or what I thought was a twitch. It hasn't gone away and only happen when I cclose my eyes and open them again and the outside corner of my upper right eyelid doesn't open completely and then a second or so laater, jerks upwards. This is visible to anyone looking at my eye when it happens and doesn't happen on every blink. Almost like an upward lag and then it jerks back into position. Not sure what it could be and who I should see about it.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause of your symptoms is called myokymia. Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.

The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Customer:

Yes thanks. I am a typical Google fan who has seen all sorts of conditions with eyelid lag / twitches as side effects, things like ALS, Graves disease etc... the optometrist even mentioned seeing a neurologist if it persists? That scared me a bit. Your thoughts?

Dr. Rick :

In the USA, we have a saying: When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.....meaning that the common things are common and the rare things are rare.

Customer:

Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX help.

Dr. Rick :

I know you have a lot of zebras running around in your country, but I still don't think you have any of those terrible conditions that Google would have you believe you have.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Customer:

Ha ha, thanks... you too.

Dr. Rick :

:)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest