Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
A new question is answered every 9 seconds left eye I see light, and slight dark spots o a face

On May 11th I had a cataract removed. It is now May 29th, and at my last appointment of Friday May 27th I could only see the first three rows on the eye chart, and knew the letter on top an E. My Dr. has been very assessable to me. Now out of my left eye I see light, and slight dark spots o a face 5 feet away. The right eye went perfect, and no stitches were used. I left eye has a stitch that has not been removed> the dr has said that the eye drops I was using broken down protein deposits and there are now in my line of sight. I see him this Friday.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James :

Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquefies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters. The surgery has increased the rate of floater formation.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. It is recommended you have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems. I recommend you call your doctor in the morning.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.