Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

i was watching tv and suddenly my left eye saw flashes of

Customer Question

i was watching tv and suddenly my left eye saw flashes of light. my vision is fine. now i feel like something is in my eye....it was frightening....should i be conderned or seek medical help?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Flashes of light can be a symptom of retinal detachment. Thus in your age group should be examined by a doctor as time is essence in it's management. Please go to ER for an evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

I am an ophthalmologist.

I don't believe you need to go to the ER.

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have not seen any more flashes of light and my vision is good...but still feel that something is in my eye.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
You can use some artificial tears for the foreign body sensation. I recommend you get a dilated eye exam tomorrow.

If you notice a veil or curtain, then you may need a more urgent exam, otherwise an exam during business hours should be ok.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
Do you have any other questions I can help you with?

Otherwise, please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.