Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am having trouble with both eyes focusing at the same thing.

Customer Question

I am having trouble with both eyes focusing at the same thing. Driving is not that good when I can not see as well as I should. This started about 10 months ago, and is not that way all the time. I have been to the Ophthalmologist, he could not see anything wrong. I talked to my regular doctor and he sent me to get a CAT Scan and they found nothing. I am 70 years old and have been wearing glasses most of my life, but never this problem.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
JACUSTOMER-nzoq98sr- :

Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

When you say you are having problems focusing with both eyes at once, especially when driving, what type of symptoms do you have? Double vision, blurry?, achey eyes?

Dr. Rick :

Does it get better if you close one eye?

JACUSTOMER-nzoq98sr- :

I can see one thing when I close one eye, so yes to your question. It is hard to describe what is going on, but it is like one eye is looking at something and the other one kind of wanders off enough so that I can not tell exactly what the object is. They are not achey eyes.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It sounds like you are having some mild crossing of your eyes, either esophoria or exophoria that is breaking down at times to give you the problems you are having.

Dr. Rick :

This this comes and goes it would be easy for a busy ophthalmologist to miss during an exam

JACUSTOMER-nzoq98sr- :

What causes this and how to do I get rid of it.

Dr. Rick :

The best trained person to deal with this issue is a pediatric ophthalmologist, although at age 70 you, most likely, won't be allowed to play with the toys in the waiting room =)

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of causes and the treatment varies on what is found on exam.

Dr. Rick :

Everyone wants to know if they have a brain tumor. How come you've not asked about that yet? lol!

JACUSTOMER-nzoq98sr- :

I guess because I don't feel anything in my head, or I have thought about that at times..

Dr. Rick :

Well. Good news. You don't have a brain tumor.....

JACUSTOMER-nzoq98sr- :

Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

But that doesn't make your symptoms any less distressing......I believe you will do well to see a pediatric ophthalmologist. They are experts on eye movements and problems in adults as well as kids

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss this evening?

JACUSTOMER-nzoq98sr- :

Not at this time. Thank you for the information.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good evening. Bye

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
.