Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I dont know this is a valid question but is a follow up to

I don't know this is a valid question but is a follow up to a previous question you responded to I did see a specialist who confirmed your online diagnosis but being semiretired and self employed without insurance I have found no place where I can go to get a procedure to save the eye. As of several days ago -friday- a check showed retinal separation on the bottom still hanging like a curtain and has not gotten worse. Med schools/univeristy hospitals refused me care-no billing option any ideas
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am very sorry to hear that you are having this difficulty. Unfortunately, with a partial detachment, you can't wait for medicare to kick in.

Dr. Rick :

There are many forms of social services available to help cover the costs of your care. You may, however, fall into that crack where you make to much to be "helped" but not enough to pay out of pocket medical expenses.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you call your State Representative or Senator, ask to speak to the social worker at the University Hospital or, if all else fails, look around at your possessions and see which ones you would prefer to do without to save the vision in your eye.

Dr. Rick :

If it was me, I'd be willing to sell my Wife's car and jewelery :o)

Dr. Rick :

And then I run before she found out.....

Dr. Rick :

Does any of this help you?

Customer:

I know--and this has been a series of rejections from medical facilities...I have assets but due to the economy I had to cut back and the high cost of medical insurance was prohimitive--but losing the sight in one eye is more costly--selling broadcast properties requires government approval and I am trying to sell all ...and I do not have real property of other quick sell items to get the $30,000 I am being told is the cost for the procedure

Customer:

Sorry to waste your time with this..I put myself in this situation

Dr. Rick :

It is not fair that they are demanding payment up front. What have hospitals become now, like lawyers?

Customer:

The financial office at the University of Wisconsin Medical demanded full advance payment

Dr. Rick :

And I can tell you that they get paid a fraction of that amount to treat this condition if they are paid by an insurance company or medicare or medicaid....and a tiny fraction at that!

Dr. Rick :

Call around to other facilities. Any retina specialist can do an excellent job of this type of surgery....you don't need the folks at MCW

Dr. Rick :

I'd do it for you but I'm still recovering from a snowmobile accident where I shattered my wrist and am not yet back in the OR full time.

Dr. Rick :

Many ophthalmologists own their own surgery centers and, I bet they will charge you much, much less and may even work with you.

Customer:

I have called several more in line with my travel route to Florida and have not had any luck--If I had a blood relative in MI t would have been able to get care there..I appreciate your response...

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if I can make any calls for you or help in anyway.....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Also, isn't it a little early for snow birds to head South?

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
It is now safe to press that Pretty Green Button so that my poor, starving, barefoot, daughters can buy new shoes and, once again, feel safe from the mean, nasty snakes, as they walk through the tall grass.