Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I Started having dull eye pain in both eyes, but mostly in

I Started having dull eye pain in both eyes, but mostly in my right eye that is constant. Sun light makes it worse and more sensitive. It hurts when I move my eye in certain positions. I went to the opthoalmologist twice this week for dialation, visual fields (that came back with borederline results, but normal range on left eye), pressure check, refraction and optic nerve check. She did notice muscle weakness in my right eye, and used a little flashlight that she was actually able to make my vision split into double when holding it in a position of me looking upwards.I am having some color differences and noticing one eye seems to have a slight haze/fog when looking at colors by itself compared to the other eye. My MRI had shown 3 T2 lesions, the spinal fluid results were great.
She is not sure if it could be optic neuritis further back in the eye and is having me try increased allergy meds/ decongestants to see if it could be sinus pressure. This I think made things worse by drying out my eyes and sinus cavity, and yet the eye pain lives on. Could it be optic neuritis, should I seek a second opinion or an MRI with the dye in it to illuminate the ocular area?
thanks for any info!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Thanks for all that excellent background information.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have said, I agree that your most likely issue is optic neuritis.

Dr. Rick :

The other issue is whether or not you have active multiple sclerosis at this time or if it will manifest itself more in the near future.

Dr. Rick :

It might be helpful to be evaluated by a neurologist who treats patients with MS for a complete workup and review of your test results.

Dr. Rick :

I don't think this has anything to do with your sinus or allergies.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will this pain go away on its own? When I woke up today I saw spots and a gray haze for a few minutes before returning to normal vision. Will optic neuritis go away, or does it need a medication?
Will this linger and get worse if I just keep taking sinus pills?
Thanks for any last thoughts!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
In most cases optic neuritis is best left untreated. In some cases high dose steroids are given, starting in the hospital and then continued with pills.

I don't think the sinus pills are doing anything for you at all. I suggest you talk to the doctor who prescribed them and see if she is OK with you stopping them.

Here is a great article on Optic neuritis from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/optic-neuritis/DS00882/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your advice I spoke with her today, she is ordering a new MRI with contrast to check for optic neuritis or any reson for the pain and other symptoms.
Thank you again!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure. Best of luck to you.

Let me know if I can help you better understand your test results or clarify any issues you may have. Take care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you please tell me if the dim colors, and the areas of dim vision that come and go correlate to optic neuritis? Can you have good days and bad days while it runs its course? I felt okay at work and then went out in the sun and the pain worsened drastically and I notice green colors seem so much brighter than red colors. I am also experiencing more pain when my weak eye muscle causes my vision to split and go double. My MRI with contrast will be for Friday at 3:30...I understand most of the time it has to run its course, for an average of 6-8 weeks. What thing will make it worse/better and will some days I have no/minimal dim vision and others it get worse...or does it tend to be consistent?
Thanks so much!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Yes, to all of your questions.

There really, as far as I know,nothing that you can do to make things worse or better. This condition varies from person to person. Sometimes it gets bad and stays that way, sometimes it comes and goes.

Good luck tomorrow on your MRI. The dye injection tends to sting a bit....
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD