Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

yellow Pus from a large red bump squirt into my eye!!!!!

Customer Question

I had a friend who has a large red bump on her leg. She has had a staph infection before. In fact she went to the ER tonight and they said the other one was an absess and they cut and drained it. They gave her bactrium. The other bump she was messing with tonight and I was sitting beside her. She popped it and when she did....the puss squirt into the very corner of my left eye. I went and flushed my eye with water for 1 minute and then washed my outer part of the eye with soap and water. Then I ran about a half of bottle of visine in my eye. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO...just in case it was staph? how do I prevent it from growing in my eye....Is there anything I can do to make sure it doesnt pop up if this bump  is staph?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer :

hi

Dr. Rick :

There is a very, very small chance you would "catch" this infection from what happened since your immune system is in good shape and you had no open wounds on your eye.

Customer :

So you cant catch staph in your eye unless you have an open wound if the puss got into my eye and her wound is staph?

Dr. Rick :

I really think you have nothing to worry about and you will be fine.

Dr. Rick :

Well, you could, but the chances are very small

Customer :

I was just trying to help her...and that wound shot out yellow THICK puss and went straight into my eye 3 feet away from her

Dr. Rick :

The pus has more cells in it used to fight the infection then it has active bacteria, so really there is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

yuk.

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes being a good friend has risks =)

Customer :

I freaked out...I dont want to lose my vision...Ive never had staph...and I hardly get sick. She has had staph 4 times in the past 2 years

Customer :

So do you think it would be better to go and see my eye doctor tomorrow?

Dr. Rick :

you will not loose your vision, you have almost no chance of catching a staph infection from this and I bet you will be fine.

Customer :

because it has become a little red in that area and a little itchy

Dr. Rick :

That would be the safest way to make sure everything is OK but I bet you will be oK.

Customer :

so there is no home remedy to take to be on the safe side?

Dr. Rick :

Ya, half a bottle of visine will make any eye red and irritated

Dr. Rick :

You already did the perfect thing: Washed it out, cleaned the surrounding area with soap and water, etc.

Customer :

I also after took a steaming hot rag and applied it the area in went in but with my eyes closed for 3 or 4 minutes

Customer :

At one point I had some vigamox...and I was gonna use it...but couldnt find it

Dr. Rick :

sounds good. It is now time to relax and realize that you are going to be ok. You have a better chance of wining the lottery then catching a staph infection from what has happened.

Customer :

oh...one other question...is staph of the eye actually called a sty or stye?

Dr. Rick :

vigamox would work, but I don't think you need it.

Dr. Rick :

staph bacteria can cause a stye to form, that is true.

Customer :

so there are other types of staph infections of the eyes? what do they usually do to treat these types of infections?

Dr. Rick :

Styes are usually treated with hot compresses and baby shampoo lid scrubs, irrespective of the causative bug. If that doesn't work after a few weeks the stye can be incised and drained.

Dr. Rick :

Antibiotics are not indicted in this condition as a general rule.

Customer :

so vigamox and eye drops are not indicated?

Customer :

with this tye of staph I am discussing?

Customer :

tye

Customer :

type

Customer :

so sorry

Dr. Rick :

Not really needed. You have already killed off any bacteria with the soap, flushing and the overdose of visine.....

Customer :

so I did the right precautions then

Dr. Rick :

You are correct. You don't even have an infection (and I don't think you are gonna catch one at this point) so no drugs are needed.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. You did the right thing. =)

Customer :

so what should I look for if an infection does occur from this mishap?

Dr. Rick :

And talking to your friendly just answer eye doc was a great idea too ;)

Dr. Rick :

Redness, swelling, tearing.....you'll know it it starts to have problems.

Dr. Rick :

Do you fell better now?

Customer :

sorta...just a little freaked out...staph is nothing to play with

Customer :

and my vision is up most important to me :(

Dr. Rick :

True, but it is generally a pretty easy bug to kill if needed

Dr. Rick :

I can understand that.......

Customer :

I am a germ freak and I cant believe I even got close to it or let her stay here...but I did

Dr. Rick :

That is what friends do.........

Dr. Rick :

Being a good friend will serve you well in life.

Customer :

I have a close friend in opthomology...I wonder if it would be even on the safer side to get a bottle of vigamox

Dr. Rick :

And I'm glad the stupid dog woke me up in the middle of the night so I could help you :o)

Customer :

my stupid dog just barked too lol

Dr. Rick :

If it made you feel better, sure. But as I said -- and as I'm sure your friend will tell you -- you really don't need it.

Dr. Rick :

Isn't pet ownership fun?

Customer :

my friend told me to get whatever i needed done cause she would feel aweful if i caught the slightest infection

Customer :

and if an infection was setting in....wouldnt the vigamox put a complete halt to it?

Dr. Rick :

See. She is a good friend and knows you are a germ freak (your words, not mine lol) and appreciates the kindness you are showing her in a time of need.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, Vigamox is great stuff.

Customer :

I can get that at NO CHARGE :) lol

Dr. Rick :

Ya, the drug reps hand that stuff out like candy.

Customer :

they are good family friends

Dr. Rick :

Ophthalmologists, in general, are wonderful people. Just ask me.....I'll tell you ;)

Customer :

I might just run and get some tomorrow....I appreciate your help very much

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Take home message? Don't worry. I think you are gonna live.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer :

:) ty

Dr. Rick :

Now it is time to relax and get some sleep....after you push that Pretty Green Button, of couse lol!

Dr. Rick :

gnight.

Dr. Rick :

no prob.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
It is now safe to press that Pretty Green Button so that my poor, starving, barefoot, daughters can buy new shoes and, once again, feel safe from the mean, nasty snakes, as they walk through the tall grass.

Time for bed. Take care and DON'T WORRY!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
How is your eye doing today?