Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I am a 59 year old physicians wife, excellent health, active,

Customer Question

I am a 59 year old physicians wife, excellent health, active, bike daily (ran 30+ years before), gym 4 days week, ballet 4 days/week. Have lupus, hemiplegic migraines and manifest scjogrens. Wear glasses and contacts. (Masters in Virology, so always, always careful about clean solution, clean cases and washing hand with antibacterial soap before ever handling contacts. Two months ago, periodic stinging pain in eyes, lasted couple of days, fairly painful with severe photophobia to both computer screens and sun. By night required ice packs to go to slelep. Used systane, zatador and finally polymyxin, no response. Did wear contacts until resolved, began again. This began to occur more frequently and then without using contacts still occurred. Went 2 weeks ago to optometrist and thought allergy. Has now been continual for about 3 weeks and I am now noticing loss of vision. Blurring, but not double vision, but more like looking through the ointments (not as severe) but that type of blurring and is getting worse. Any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

So you continued to use your contacts during this initial episode and it resolved?

Customer:

no, my eyes are too painful during these episodes. They are bilateral by the way

Doctor DanB :

It sounds like it then just resolved spontaneously, but then began again shortly thereafter, is that correct?

Customer:

Yes, with increasing frequency until now where no matter what I do it has been continuous for the past almost 3 weeks

Doctor DanB :

How many hours/day do you wear your contacts? What is the brand name of the contacts you wear? How long do you use a particular pair of contacts?

Customer:

Usually no more than 8 hours, but have not used them for the past 3 weeks

Doctor DanB :

Do you know the particular name/brand of the contacts you wear?

Customer:

yes, proclear

Doctor DanB :

How long have you been using that particular type of lenses?

Customer:

the thing that really bothers me is for the past couple of days I keep cleaning my glasses thinking they are dirty and its me not the glasses.

Customer:

I have used these for at least 3-4 years

Doctor DanB :

Have the eyes been red during this time? Any foreign-body sensation in addition to the blurred vision and severe photophobia?

Customer:

No, more like sand in eyes and light flashes occasionally like I get with migraine aura, but not exactly

Customer:

I am not in a migraine cycle now either

Doctor DanB :

I suspect that you are having a problem called contact lens-induced keratitis. I will be typing my explanation of this for the next couple of minutes so please bear with me.

Customer:

ok, I appreciate your help

Customer:

do I need to see my opthamologist

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I do think you should see your ophthalmologist. Contact-lens induced keratitis is when the cornea begins to decompensate from a lack of oxygen and from the effects of bacteria in the tear-film. When this happens, an inflammatory reaction can result which can often times be subtle, but is visible to your eye doctor in the microscope at the edges of the cornea.

Customer:

ok, I was afraid of that. He's a great doctor, big, big practice and unless absolutely necessary I would rather eat cooked spinach

Doctor DanB :

The body tries to react to toxins that are produced by bacteria that are naturally in the tear-film. It is this immune response to these bacterial toxins that result in pockets or clusters of inflammation that can cause severe photophobia, foreign-body sensation and, when it gets involved enough, can cause decreased vision.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help with this. My eyes hurt way to much to go through md consult

Customer:

I will call tomorrow and be seen asap, I really did not want to risk my vision and when the loss of vision occurred it became more of a concern

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome. I think that's a good idea. Can I help you with anything else?

Customer:

No thank you, XXXXX XXXXX really appreciate your assistance and have a good evening. Good bye

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology