Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

What is the best and fastest way to get super glued eyes o

What is the best and fastest way to get super glued eyes open?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Or, if you are not having any eye pain or discomfort, you can wait....it will take about a week to come off.

Customer:

I managed to get my right eye glued shut while getting ,y nails done about an hour ago. We have tried using wet compresses, with little effect. She has a we

Customer:

I am going to my sons wedding tomorrow and will be photographing it as well. I need something that will work FAST

Dr. Rick :

Nothing will work safely. Pulling them apart will cause bleeding and ugly wedding pictures. The best way to get your eyelids apart and have nice eyelids for the pictures tomorrow is to see an ophthalmologist tonight.

Dr. Rick :

Some ER docs may be able to use a slit lamp well enough to do this for you, or there may be an ophthalmologist on call at the ER who can come in and take care of this for you. Your time frame and need to take pretty pictures tomorrow kinda puts you between a rock and a hard place

Customer:

this is very poor timing.

Dr. Rick :

This might be covered by your insurance as a case can be made that this is a medical emergency all on its own....the upcoming nuptials notwithstanding.....

Dr. Rick :

yup.

Dr. Rick :

Life is like that at times. You will look back on this and laugh.

Dr. Rick :

Someday :)

Customer:

My son is getting married and I am taking the pictures.

Customer:

very poor timeing.

Customer:

I've read that putting warm/hot compresses on it will work

Dr. Rick :

Congrats on the new daughter in law.

Dr. Rick :

won't do a thing

Customer:

won't do a thing?

Dr. Rick :

but it will give you a feeling that you are doing something.....

Customer:

what can the eye doctor do that I can't do?

Dr. Rick :

yup. All the warm compresses in the world will not affect the glue

Customer:

I am typing with one eye open..

Customer:

I thought the warm compresses with soften the glue

Dr. Rick :

with high magnification and fine instruments she can gently grasp, bend and break the glue and take it off piece by piece while making sure not do damage your eyelid, lashes (you may loose a few) or eyeball.

Dr. Rick :

I've done it a number of times over the last two decades of practice.

Customer:

so if I go to the ER vs the opthalmalogist tomorrow morning?

Dr. Rick :

When it is done at home it is usually a mess. Not a real problem as it usually heals, but not in 18 hours

Dr. Rick :

Ophthalmologist in the AM, if you have time, is a better bet then the ER....and a lot cheaper.

Customer:

the wedding is actually Wednesday morning. But I am flying out tomorrow

Dr. Rick :

If you have time before your flight, that is what I'd do. I bet most every eye doc would be happy to squeeze you in when she hears your story....

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

The warm compresses really have no effect on the cured glue at all......

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. Once again, congrats of the happy event. Sorry about this little glitch but it sounds like you have the time to get it fixed before the wedding day.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest