Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had mono-vision lasik surgery done about 4 yrs ago.

I have had mono-vision lasik surgery done about 4 yrs ago. My opthamologist (a different Eye Dr) gave me a prescription for glasses to clear up my vision. One of the problems I had that when reading my long distance vision eye would start watering and somewhat strained feeling. Also the reading eye has some pain. I had the prescription filled here in Mx where I live full time. The glasses made me feel a little dizzy and a feel of eye strain when I first put them on. The optician said this was normal as I had to get used to the varilux prescriptions After trying to wear the glasses off and on for about four days I still have that feeling. Is this normal and I need to wear them more to get used to them or could the prescription not be quite right. I see pretty well with the glasses just the strain.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. This is normal. Four days is really not enough time for your brain to "get used to" the new glasses, especially varilux.

Dr. Rick :

I'd give it at least 3 weeks of full time wear before giving up and going back to the ophthalmologist to have them rechecked. One day you might just notice that you are not noticing them anymore :o)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes I can see sort of well just have the pulling sensation with a little bit of light headiness. Feels uncomfortable I take them off then it takes a little to get back to normal..... I was the one who has the problem with dry eye also. We just got through with that. Also seems like the lines of type aren't straight I guess that is all to do with going from no glasses to something that makes my brain try to workl Thanks for your help/

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

I'll give you a "new" cut-n-paste end quote since you've seen the other one already :o)

Dr. Rick :

It is now safe to press that Pretty Green Button so that my poor, starving, barefoot, daughters can buy new shoes and, once again, feel safe from the mean, nasty snakes, as they walk through the tall grass.

Customer:

I guess that is normal I do remember back when I started wearing varilux 20 yrs ago I had sort of the same problem. Just seems worse now. I hope your daughters find some really nice shoes. Payless Shoe Source seems to have nice ones.

Dr. Rick :

lol!

Dr. Rick :

I wish I could get them to shop there!

Customer:

or Marshalls, my wife is a platinum member there.

Customer:

I see Dad and Mom have spoiled them. That is OK is they appreciate all you do.

Dr. Rick :

So you know my pain then? One Wife, Three Daughters....grandbabies......OY Vey!

Customer:

I was hoping for another answer to the glasses but sort of thought that. Thanks again.

Dr. Rick :

I type my fingers to the bone on this site just to keep 'em in shoes and sweaters ;o)

Dr. Rick :

No problem. Give it time.

Customer:

Thanks for the re-assurance it just was not me.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest