Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My ophthalmologist just told me I had fibrosis in my left eye.

Customer Question

My ophthalmologist just told me I had fibrosis in my left eye. I am 66years old .What now?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Not sure what the doc meant by 'fibrosis'. Is your vision affected by this condition? Could you tell me a little bit more? Where is the fibrosis? Behind your lens? Cornea? Retina (macula)?

Dr. Rick :

Did the ophthalmologist suggest any treatments?

Dr. Rick :

My system shows that you have entered the chat area. Are you there?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick :

I guess the system must have got stuck.....see you at the Q&A section.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the Qand A section
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
That is what we are in now....the chat system froze up on us :(

This is now like text messaging. We will each get an email when the other responds.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
You paid me too early, not that I'm complaining of course.... lol!

So. Can you give me more information about the fibrosis? I owe you an excellent answer to your question....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'm still here and want to give you a good answer. It would be helpful if you could provide some of the information requested above, or anything you know about the fibrosis/eye condition you are suffering from.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My doc said it was benign and I shouldnt panic .my macula was fine .I think he was referring to my corne .He sid there was a pucker.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a differece between fibers on the lens as opposed to the cornea
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for that information.

He is most likely talking about macular pucker. This is a condition where "fibrosis", for lack of a better term, forms on the surface of your retina (the photosensitive part of your eye) and causes it to wrinkle.

If the wrinkles get bad enough it can lead to decreased vision, much like crumpled up film would give low quality pictures. Treatment is usually not recommended unless the vision has dropped to the 20/40ish level on the eye chart. Once it reaches this stage there are treatments available, such as surgery.

You doctor, obviously, doesn't believe your condition is very advanced and, rightly so, elected to observe things for now.

Does this make sense to you? If not, let me know as I am -- truly -- in your debt at the moment :o)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
yes, fibrosis of the posterior capsule (behind the lens), on the cornea or involving the retina are all very, very different conditions,
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else you would like to ask me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My father who was100 years old this june first has macular dgeneration and I make my living as a artist.This kind of thing has always concerned me.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
This is not the same as macular degeneration, although it affects the same part of the retina (macula). All the things you might worry about concerning your fathers condition do not apply to this issue.