Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Hi, I HAD A CATARACT REMOVED FROM BOTH EYES RECENTLY..BLOOD..EYE..KNEE

Customer Question

Hi, I HAD A CATARACT REMOVED FROM BOTH EYES RECENTLY. i ALSO RECENTLY HAD SURGERY TO MY RIGHT EYE, TO REMOVE GEL FROM BEHIND IT.. WHEN HE STARTED THE OPERATION I FELT HIM CUT SO I HOLLERED OUCH AND HE ADDED FREEZE I GUESS, BUT NOW IN MY RIGHT EYE I HAVE DOUBLE VISION AND AT FIRST HE SAID IT WAS AMUSCLE AND NOW SAYS IT COULD BE A BLOOD CLOT, SO WAIT A FEW MORE WKS ,, DO AN EXCERCISE BY LOOKING UP AND TRYING TO GET THE EYE TO MOVE,, WHAT DO i DO NOW OH, AND I FELL FRIDAY AND BRUISED MY ARTIFICIAL KNEE AND RIPPED OPEN MY RIGHT ARM ON A STAND WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE I WANT MY EYE BACK. THANK U I HOPE U CAN HELP ME I AM 76 YR. OLD
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

what was the reason for the second surgery to remove the gel?

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

back at u it was pressure on my i and i could not fly back home to vt,

Dr. James :

I'm sorry, I could not understand that last statement. Did you have a complication from the cataract surgery needing the retinal surgery?

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

I was told by my cararact DR. that I had a lot of pressure behind my right eye , he made an appt. for me to have the gel removed

Dr. James :

When you cover one eye, does the double go away?

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

could not get on the plane to go home because of the pressure

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

yes when I cover my left eye i can seeok with my right eye

Dr. James :

When was the surgery done?

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

but I have a hard time reading with my right eye

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

wait a moment have to get paper work

Dr. James :

ok.

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

I can't find it right now but it is about a month ago

Dr. James :

With surgery to remove the gel, a numbing medicine is used called a retrobulbar block. This can sometimes cause weakness to one of the eye muscles, the inferior rectus.

Dr. James :

It is important to give it time to allow the muscle to recover.

Dr. James :

In the mean time, you may consider prisms in your glasses to help realign the images.

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

and then what ? how long must I put up with this I walk around all the time w/ my eye closed so I won't fall

Dr. James :

You should check with your doctor regarding a temporary prism on your glasses so you can see single images again.

Dr. James :

These prisms are called Fresnel prisms.

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

I dont have glasses the DR. who did the cataracts said I would not need them ever again I see good w/ my left eye

Dr. James :

If you don't need prescription glasses, you can temporary put the Fresnel glasses on a plain lens without prescription.

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

ok, I guess i can try that ,, but how long am I going to be like this please answer

Dr. James :

It is common to wait 3-6 months to give the muscle enough time to recover. If it doesn't recover fully, then additional options can be discuss, but 1 month is still too early to tell if it will be permanent or not.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions for me?

Dr. James :

.

Dr. James :

Hello??

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

I guess not you have answered like I thought you would so I guess we r finished thank you

Dr. James :

What additional information would you like??

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

TO KNOW IF I WILL EVER HAVE MY EYE BACK

Dr. James :

Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee you that the double vision will go away.

Dr. James :

I think the chances are good that it would go away however.

JACUSTOMER-auwanc9g- :

OK THANK YOU I guess you have helped me as best you could thank you!

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Dr. James :

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the green accept button so that I receive credit for my time.