Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Hi, I HAD A CATARACT REMOVED FROM BOTH EYES RECENTLY..BLOOD..EYE..KNEE

Customer Question

Hi, I HAD A CATARACT REMOVED FROM BOTH EYES RECENTLY. i ALSO RECENTLY HAD SURGERY TO MY RIGHT EYE, TO REMOVE GEL FROM BEHIND IT.. WHEN HE STARTED THE OPERATION I FELT HIM CUT SO I HOLLERED OUCH AND HE ADDED FREEZE I GUESS, BUT NOW IN MY RIGHT EYE I HAVE DOUBLE VISION AND AT FIRST HE SAID IT WAS AMUSCLE AND NOW SAYS IT COULD BE A BLOOD CLOT, SO WAIT A FEW MORE WKS ,, DO AN EXCERCISE BY LOOKING UP AND TRYING TO GET THE EYE TO MOVE,, WHAT DO i DO NOW OH, AND I FELL FRIDAY AND BRUISED MY ARTIFICIAL KNEE AND RIPPED OPEN MY RIGHT ARM ON A STAND WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE I WANT MY EYE BACK. THANK U I HOPE U CAN HELP ME I AM 76 YR. OLD
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

what was the reason for the second surgery to remove the gel?

Customer :

back at u it was pressure on my i and i could not fly back home to vt,

Dr. James :

I'm sorry, I could not understand that last statement. Did you have a complication from the cataract surgery needing the retinal surgery?

Customer :

I was told by my cararact DR. that I had a lot of pressure behind my right eye , he made an appt. for me to have the gel removed

Dr. James :

When you cover one eye, does the double go away?

Customer :

could not get on the plane to go home because of the pressure

Customer :

yes when I cover my left eye i can seeok with my right eye

Dr. James :

When was the surgery done?

Customer :

but I have a hard time reading with my right eye

Customer :

wait a moment have to get paper work

Dr. James :

ok.

Customer :

I can't find it right now but it is about a month ago

Dr. James :

With surgery to remove the gel, a numbing medicine is used called a retrobulbar block. This can sometimes cause weakness to one of the eye muscles, the inferior rectus.

Dr. James :

It is important to give it time to allow the muscle to recover.

Dr. James :

In the mean time, you may consider prisms in your glasses to help realign the images.

Customer :

and then what ? how long must I put up with this I walk around all the time w/ my eye closed so I won't fall

Dr. James :

You should check with your doctor regarding a temporary prism on your glasses so you can see single images again.

Dr. James :

These prisms are called Fresnel prisms.

Customer :

I dont have glasses the DR. who did the cataracts said I would not need them ever again I see good w/ my left eye

Dr. James :

If you don't need prescription glasses, you can temporary put the Fresnel glasses on a plain lens without prescription.

Customer :

ok, I guess i can try that ,, but how long am I going to be like this please answer

Dr. James :

It is common to wait 3-6 months to give the muscle enough time to recover. If it doesn't recover fully, then additional options can be discuss, but 1 month is still too early to tell if it will be permanent or not.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions for me?

Dr. James :

.

Dr. James :

Hello??

Customer :

I guess not you have answered like I thought you would so I guess we r finished thank you

Dr. James :

What additional information would you like??

Customer :

TO KNOW IF I WILL EVER HAVE MY EYE BACK

Dr. James :

Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee you that the double vision will go away.

Dr. James :

I think the chances are good that it would go away however.

Customer :

OK THANK YOU I guess you have helped me as best you could thank you!

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Dr. James :

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the green accept button so that I receive credit for my time.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.