Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hi, I just received my new contacts for 3 months. Acuvue Oasys

Customer Question

Hi, I just received my new contacts for 3 months. Acuvue Oasys for Astigmatism. But, when I got them they came in two different boxes. One has a 30 Axis and the other has a 140. How do I know which box is the right eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. I'm here to help you today. Are you available to chat?

Customer :

Yes.

Doctor DanB :

Does either box say the letters OD or OS on it?

Customer :

No, honestly the majority of writing is in a foreign language.

Doctor DanB :

Hmmm... That's unusual. Did you have a copy of your contact lens prescription that you can refer to?

Customer :

Sort of? I have a paper that came with the contacts, it has Power, BC, DIA, CYL, and AXIS on there

Doctor DanB :

When you look at the Axis column on that paper, what axis # XX XXXXXX for OD and which for OS?

Customer :

One is 30 and the other is 140

Doctor DanB :

Does it say which is OD and which is OS?

Customer :

No

Doctor DanB :

Did you get this order from a bulk contact order like 1-800-contacts?

Customer :

Yes. From what my optometrist has told me, I have Astigmatism in both eyes, but it's worse in my left. Does that help any?

Doctor DanB :

Maybe so. Under the heading CYL, what are the two #s?

Customer :

-0.75 for both

Doctor DanB :

Hmm.. The fact that the power of cylinder (astigmatism) is prescribed as the same in each eye either means his comment was inaccurate, or he decided to balance you out and give you contacts that had the same astigmatism power in each eye regardless of what was actually needed (some optoms do that). I take it your optometrist never gave you a copy of the contact lens prescription?

Customer :

No, he sent me out of the office and had me sit down to order them from 1-800-Contacts

Doctor DanB :

If you did the actual ordering from 1-800-Contacts, then you must have faxed them a copy of the prescription. Do you still have that copy that you can refer to?

Customer :

I didn't do the actual ordering. One of the assistants did.

Doctor DanB :

I see. Well, at this point your options are: 1) Call your optom's office and ask which is right and which is left; 2) Call 1-800-contacts and ask them the same thing; or 3) just try one on and see how it looks. If it is pretty clear, then you are likely able to assume that you have the correct one in the correct eye; if it's pretty blurry, then switch them. Option 3) is the only way to know right now, without a copy of the prescription, unfortunately.

Customer :

Ok, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Doctor DanB :

Anything else I can help you with?

Customer :

No, that's all I needed. Thank you.

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome. Good luck. 

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.