Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Have double vission in one eye. Some call it ghosting. My eye

Customer Question

Have double vission in one eye. Some call it ghosting. My eye also goes blured, on occasion, but clears up after a day. I have type one diabetes. My eye doctor says my eye s are OK.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question.
Customer:

Hi How can you help? My eye is very blured. So hiting the keys will be slow.

Customer:

Hi give me your advice.

Doctor DanB :

Is your double vision only present that one eye is open and gone only when that eye is closed?

Customer:

I have only one eye that is good.

Doctor DanB :

What happened to the other eye?

Customer:

Hypertension I was told damage the optic nerve

Doctor DanB :

How long has the double vision been there in that eye?

Customer:

I get it once a month or two. Goes a way after a while in one two days

Doctor DanB :

Is it there all day long, every day? Can you blink it away?

Customer:

I can blink away some what but eye drops and eyye wash helps some what. But time sem to do best with all the drops.

Customer:

Sorry about the typos but my eye is blured

Doctor DanB :

I suspect that this is significantly related to dry eye. The tears are a good thing to do to treat dry eye, but I would suggest also treating for some eyelid inflammation which is very common and also causes a lot of these issues. This inflammation is called blepharitis.

Doctor DanB :

In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done.

It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so use the artificial tears you bought 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them.

Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working.

If you are a person that doesn't make their own tears very well, then you may also benefit from a prescription drop called Restasis, which actually modulates a person's immune system to help them make more of their own tears. This drop actually requires constant usage on a daily basis for up to 10-12 weeks before its effect kicks in (takes awhile to change the immune response in the body).

Because there are numerous reasons for dry eye, if not all the reasons that exist in one patient are treated, it can seem as though the ones that are being treated are providing no benefit. If you've tried these recommendations and still don't feel better then you should consider seeing a corneal specialist for a dry eye evaluation.

Customer:

I am using Thera Teats and 128 . PS the air in Aluquerque is heavy with smoke from Fires in Arizona. May be a contributing factors

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology