Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

After corneal d-sec/lens implant surgery in my left eye and

Customer Question

After corneal d-sec/lens implant surgery in my left eye and two surgeries for detached retina (we believe a complication from the fitsr surgery) I am left permanently very light sensitive all the time. I recently ordered plastic transition lenses, and I seem to be having an extreme allegic reaction in both eyes after a few hours of wearing them (My old glass lenses produce no such reaction). Is it possible I am allergic to some chemical in the plastic lenses? Might I do better allergy-wise with glass photogray lenses? (I also find the transitions don't get as dark as I need in full sunlight for my light senstivity--do photogray's get darker?)

Many thanks,

Ken Jacobsen
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

HI,

Dr. Rick :

The photograys glasses get just about as dark as the transition lenses. To get really dark sunglasses you really need to just get a separate set of sunglasses.

Customer:

Hi.Have you read my question

Dr. Rick :

I have never seen, nor have I ever heard of anyone being allergic to plastic transition lenses. In the first place, the glasses never really touch any part of your body, so I really don't think this is the issue. Is it possible? After almost two decades of practicing ophthalmology I have come to believe that ANYTHING is possible...... ;o) Is it likely? No.

Customer:

Sorry, I've not done chat before--learning the technology. Have you heard of allegies to the transtion lenses?

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Looks like we are playing "chat tag" =)

Customer:

a chemical in the palstic might be doing it

Dr. Rick :

possible. But I've never seen it or even heard of it. But it's certainty possible........

Customer:

thank you for your help,

Customer:

Ken J.