Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

What kind of eye doctor do I need to go to for a blow to an

Customer Question

What kind of eye doctor do I need to go to for a blow to an eye that is causung pain and a small pupil that is no dilating?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How is your vision in the affected eye? What were you hit with?

Dr. Rick :

I've had horses my entire life....still have 2 numb toes on one foot where my loving friend decided to stop when trying to shake flies off his front leg :o)

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you are away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you may have bleeding inside your eye (hyphema) and/or inflammation (Uveitis) in your eye.

Dr. Rick :

You really need to see an ophthalmologist today, especially since you are two days out from the injury and still having problems.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat. What State are you located in?

Customer:

horse was on bungee cross ties (young horse in training, i am a trianer, look up "Good Times Farm in NJ) horse spooked tried to leave grooming stall as far out as cross ties would stretch, turned around and halter came off catapulting it back at me, and it felt like heavy metal snap got me in my eye and knocked me down. Going in ring now. It REALLY hurts

Dr. Rick :

Gotta love those young-uns. You need to call around to local ERs right away. Ask them if they have an ophthalmologist on call who can come in and see you. If not, call another ER until you find one that has an eye MD on call. If none do, then call local Ophthalmologists, talk to their answering service, and see if they will come in and see you.

Dr. Rick :

You might have to miss the lesson this morning :(

Dr. Rick :

Also, stop the drops....they will do nothing for you.

Dr. Rick :

I'll check out your web site :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

This really is nothing to delay. You could have major intraocular damage that could lead to complete loss of vision......

Dr. Rick :

I never have cell phone service inside the arena.....Guess NJ can do so something right, eh? (I trained in New York.....)

Dr. Rick :

I may have lost you as you went into the ring......

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

If you are still there, do you have any other questions or comments? You condition, really, is an ocular emergency. That much force hitting you in the eye is not a good thing at all.........

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. Do your best to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist ASAP.

Customer:

I just cancelled my other lessons and am headed for an 11:00 appointment at Pearl vision centrer and they can hopefully evaluate me and send me elsewhere if needed. I have been nauseous also, can that be from the pain or maybe the shot to the surriunding bone area?

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

I hope you feel better soon.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
You are very fortunate to be associated with such a nice farm. Great pictures! Now. Get to an Ophthalmologist =)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
You need to see an ophthalmologist, not an optometrist. Do not let the optom treat you in any way!

Your pressure inside your eye may be getting really high. Get to ER and be evaluated by an MD....Pearl Vision is only a delay....a delay you really can't afford now that nausea has entered the picture.

Those are some beautiful horses on your webpage....even if I am a Quarter Horse type of guy myself :)

If you have a chance let me know how things turn out. Good luck.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
There are really very few times I feel really, really strongly about something on just answer, but this is one of them.

You need to be seen by an ophthalmologist right now. To delay could cause you to go blind in that eye. Don't mess around. Ok? Ok.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
It is now safe to press that Pretty Green Button so that my poor, starving, barefoot, daughters can buy new shoes and, once again, feel safe from the mean, nasty snakes, as they walk through the tall grass.

Let me hear back from you so I know how you are doing. Take care.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
So. Tell me. What did the ophthalmologist tell you was going on with your eye today?

Are you gonna get rid of the bungi cord cross ties?