Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I accidentally slipped off my leg w/ my at home laser hair

I accidentally slipped off my leg w/ my at home laser hair removal device and looked at it while it flashed. Will this cause permanent damage? Should I go to the emergency room or is the damage already done? My eyes which have a high prescription to begin w/ took a while to recover and not see a bright light but just feel tired now. Is there anything to worry about if it only happened once?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes.

Doctor DanB :

Is the vision back to normal now?

Customer:

Yes. Vision was never really affected. Eyes just felt like after you see a bright light

Customer:

a little tired too

Doctor DanB :

Your concern is justified. An inadvertent laser does have the potential to cause damage to the eyes. However, it takes an incredibly lucky, or unlucky shot in just the right place, at the right distance, for the right amount of time for significant damage to be done to the retina by the laser.

Doctor DanB :

I would say that it would be a good idea to monitor your vision in that eye periodically over the next few days. If you don't notice a spot in your vision which is harder to see in, then I think you are home free. There wouldn't be any continuing damage caused by that episode and if there isn't any problem now or in the next few days when your eyes are less tired (and you can probably judge things better), then you shouldn't develop any problems from this after that time. Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes. Thank you very much. Eases my mind.