Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Is it safe to use Visine to reduce allergy redness years after

Is it safe to use Visine to reduce allergy redness years after detached retina surgery? Thank You!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. Yes, it should be able to use the Visine allergy drop even after a detached retina surgery. However, the eye can become habituated to this particular kind of drop. That means that the eye can become more and more red despite using this drop and ultimately it may cause your eye to stay red. For that reason, I advocate only using it on an episodic basis, and not a chronic, or long-term basis. For that type of lubrication, I would recommend using an artificial tear without a get-the-red-out chemical in them. Those kind of artificial tears you can use safely 3-4x/day indefinitely.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.