Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My daughter aged 23 has been complaining for approx 1 week

My daughter aged 23 has been complaining for approx 1 week of spots before her eyes. This seems to have come on quite suddenly and has persisted long enough and to an extent that she is expressing concern. Two days ago she visited an optician for an eye examination. The optician (opthalmologist?) examined her eyes adn said there is no immediate concern unless the visual disturbances suddenly change or increase.

Has my daughter taken sufficient care by visiting for one eye test, or should she get another opinion?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is your daughter short sighted? Does she wear glasses or contact lenses?

Customer:

no

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from the sudden onset of floaters in front of her eyes, has she experienced any flashes of light or sudden fogginess or blurriness of vision? Is it only seen in one eye or in front of both eyes?

Customer:

No flashes or other symptoms, but the floaters are in front of both eyes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In the absence of flashes of light or reduced vision ( foggy or blurred vision), the commonest cause for floaters is from posterior vitreous detachment. This is more often seen in older individuals and a bit earlier in myopes and diabetic individuals.

Customer:

She is very young and not diagnosed as myopic or diabetic. What do you think she should do? Does this require treatment, and if so do we need to act promptly? She is going away tomorrow for one week's holiday and I want to be sure she is safe to leave it at least that long.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

PVD is a condition in which the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached from its retinal attachment as a result of aging. During this the retina gets irritated or kind of stretched and gives rise to the symptom of flashes of light. Once the vitreous gets detached , it gets clumped and gives rise to the symptom of floaters ( wavy line/cobwebs/black strings). It is otherwise a harmless condition which needs no further treatment except for the fact that very rarely it may induce tiny peripheral retinal tears. Now these retinal tears can be detected by a dilated eye exam and if found they can be safely sealed with lasers. If left alone the retinal tears have a remote tendency to get converted into a frank retinal detachment. The visual acuity remains more or less good except when obscured by a large floater.

In order to confirm the intactness of the peripheral retina it is better to get her eyes examined by an ophthalmologist( but not an emergency as long as there are no sudden flashes of light or fogginess of vision).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess the optician atleast would have examined her eye and the vision ( 20/20 in each eye), so as of now there does not seem to be any crisis or emergency treatment required.

Customer:

Thanks for that. I will advise her to see an ophthalmologist for peripheral retina examination after her return from holiday. It is good to know exactly what test to ask for, and to know she is ok to wait (unless there are light flashes or fogginess - I will warn her about this).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I wish your daughter a safe and pleasant holiday.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX much at ease. By the way, intrigued by your name. Are you the Dr Aditi Desai I know from work context? (i.e. are you dentally as well as medically qualified?)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, I'm Dr.Anupama.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist ( not related to dental work at all). :)

Customer:

Thought it unlikely but had to ask or would be left curious. Thanks for your help and advice re my daughter.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It was a pleasure to have assisted you. Have a nice day. Bye.

Customer:

Bye and thanks again :)

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince