Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I will turn 50 years of age in September.My vision had decreesed

I will turn 50 years of age in September.My vision had decreesed over the last 2 years and my eyes are very red.Sometimes it feel like small stones in my eyes and my one eye feels like the muscle is pulling.Could you please let me know what the problem can be and do i need to go and see a doctor . I do not have any chronic illness.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Is the vision reduced for distance and near both? Do you wear reading glasses for near work?

Is there any history of diabetes/hypertension/glaucoma?

When was your last eye exam by an eye doctor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Reduced to distance.I do wear reading glasses for 20 years.

No one from my side of the family has history of diabetes/hypertension/glaucoma .My husband has diabetes /hypertension.I test my sugar once a month which is normal(6-7)and my blood pressure was normal 6 months ago.

I tested my eyes one year ago.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Reduced vision for distance for nearly two years does need to be evaluated further in detail. There are a number of causes for gradual progressive diminished vision such as early cataract, simple glaucoma, age related macular degeneration, uncorrected refractive error, diabetic retinopathy, corneal degeneration and so on. Since there is no history of diabetes or glaucoma, these causes are less likely in your case. But I guess a detailed eye exam by an ophthalmologist to look out for other causes is better lest they are missed out( may not have been present in the last eye exam).

As for the chronic redness and grittiness in the eyes, it is likely that you have eye strain or eye fatigue or dry eyes ( can occur from long hours of reading /writing/viewing computer etc). You can initially try with lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresh tears, 1 drop 4 times a day for a month. It is available over the counter. If symptoms do not improve by then, then it is better to get your eyes examined in detail by an ophthalmologist, both for the reduced vision and the dry eyes symptoms.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions , if any.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist