Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Ive had a reddish eye for 2 mos. tried all otc drops.Thought

I've had a reddish eye for 2 mos. tried all otc drops.Thought it was from sinus infection.Last wk.went to Mx.,bought toberex drops.It was great for a week.and started clearing after 1-2 days.Now,I wake up and develope a stye(I've never had before) on lower lid & when pulling down lid, there is a white bigger than stye pimple on the inner lining. WHat is going on with this eye? I feel like I've fooled w/ it for 2-3 mos. now!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

When was the last time you saw an ophthalmologist?
Besides the Tobradex, what else are you using?

Customer:

Hello Doc-

Customer:

I have not seen an ophthalmologist/or optometrist- I quit using the Tobradex yesterday- it burned when I put 2 drops in- that is when I discovered the bump later in the day. and looked like a stye? BUT, with that is a white gross pimple inner lining also. Not using anything now.

Dr. James :

Who prescribed the Tobradex?

Dr. James :

?

Customer:

LAst time I saw eye Dr. was about a year ago-

Customer:

I bought the Tobradex w/o a prescription in Mexico. It is from Alco Lab. and expires in Oct.2010

Dr. James :

It appears you have blepharitis, which is inflammation of the eyelids and oil glands of the eyelids.

Dr. James :

The stye is a result of that.

Dr. James :

A stye occurs when oil glands in your eyelids get blocked, very similar to a pimple. Treatment is to apply warm compresses to the area 3-4 times a day. This helps to soften the blocked oils and allows it to self drain.

Sometimes the stye can cause an infection that spread throughout the eyelid. In this case, antibiotics pills are needed. If you notice increasing swelling or pain, see your primary care doctor or ophthalmologist for a prescription.

Customer:

OK- You are going to kill me, but what antibitoics would you prescribe? I bought 2 Z-paks in Mx. too. They are Azitromicina 500mg. 6 in a bottle. I also have Omnicef 300mg. Should I discontinue the Tobradex? And YES, I do have a ppt. on Sat. w/Optometrist.

Dr. James :

Blepharitis often does not need antibiotics.

Dr. James :

For moderate to servere blepharitis, doxycycline has anti-inflammatory effects, and often taken for weeks.

Dr. James :

Tobradex is OK for a stye and for short periods of blepharitis flares, but not good for chronic use.

Dr. James :

For the stye, the warm compresses are the best.

Customer:

OK- I will continue warm compresses,and how often do you use the Tobradex # XXXXX drops? and times a day? Also- why was my eye red for pass 2 mos?

Dr. James :

Tobradex is often prescribed 4 times a day. You should check with your optometrist first however.

Dr. James :

Eyes could have been red from the blepharitis/dry eyes.

Customer:

OK- I will check w/ Dr. What causes the blepharitis?/dry eyes?

Dr. James :

Weather. Low humidity.

Dr. James :

Many things. Allergies. Bacteria colonization at the base of your eyelids.

Customer:

ALso- I only used the drops when awaken in the am - One time a day. That is the downside of buying w/o prescription in other country.. No directions on usage :/ Very interesting...the weather has been bad. No rain in Houston and allergies worse than ever. I also used some false eyelash glue ..was curious if it went in there...I appreciate all the help

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

No problem- it was worth all the info...You rock! I was skeptical at first, but I'm a believer now...Thanks

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon