Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My eyeballs (specifically) feel like theyre bruised or swollen.

My eyeballs (specifically) feel like they're bruised or swollen. It came on randomly yesterday morning. I had about a 101.3 degree fever last night and have been fighting a UTI for a little over a week. But I don't understand this. I have to close my eyes to move around because they hurt if they move and they feel like they're swollen or bruised if I touch them through my eye lid. What the heck is going on?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are your eyes red and/or light-sensitive?
Customer:

Not red, but a little light sensitive.

Doctor DanB :

Has the vision itself changed?

Doctor DanB :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Yes, sorry

Customer:

My vision has not changed, except for having pain when I move my eyes

Customer:

I keep having to close them every time I turn my head

Doctor DanB :

I think that you are experiencing a common symptom associated with the body's generalized inflammation. When there is a fever, the central nervous system experiences this inflammation and since the eyes are connected to the brain, they often experience what the brain experiences and in this case, it is pain with eye movements as well as light sensitivity.

Doctor DanB :

You can kind of think of it like something along the lines of how someone with meningitis might be very light sensitive. It's the same phenomenon. It is possible that there could be an intraocular inflammation associated with this illness you have which is called uveitis. But it doesn't seem as likely given that your eyes aren't really red. I suspect that this is going to get better as this systemic illness you have gets bettert.

Doctor DanB :

In the meantime, I would do things that will control your systemic symptoms like taking ibuprofen and/or tylenol and also using cool compresses as you are doing. In addition, I would recommend using artificial tears 4-5x/day and that can also help control these symptoms. Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes, that does make sense

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions I can help you with?

Customer:

I don't think so, thank you

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.