Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had cataracs removed 10 years ago but sometimes my vision

I have had cataracs removed 10 years ago but sometimes my vision seems to be a little tired and not so sharp but what bothered me is the bright halos when I look at my night lights in my hall. That's the first I ever noticed that.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you might have developed a posterior capsular opacity.

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause for your vision problems is a posterior capsule opacity (PCO).

The artificial lens is placed in the capsular bag after your lens (cataract) is removed. This capsule, in a large number of patients, can become cloudy with time and cause a decrease in vision. Some patients say it is almost like their cataract has come back, or they complain of glare, problems reading, driving at night etc.

The good news about a PCO is that it can be easily diagnosed and treated in your ophthalmologists office -- no need for any further surgery or, many times, even a new eyeglass prescription.

How is it treated? Your eye is dilated just like it is for a routine eye exam. A drop of numbing medicine is placed in your eye and, in most cases, a special hand-held contact lens is placed on your eye. You are positioned at a slit lamp that has a laser attached to it and, using the laser, (YAG) the capsule is cut allowing a clear path for light to get to your retina again. The entire procedure takes less then 5 minutes. There is no "post-op" recovery time needed and you can expect good vision to return as soon as the drops wear off.....sometimes even sooner.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

What is that and what can I do about it?

Dr. Rick :

I think we crossed paths on our text messages :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Still there? Do you have any more questions or would you like more information on this topic?

Dr. Rick :

I see you have only accepted two of the many questions you have asked on justanswer. Is there anything else I can add so that you get all the information you require?

Customer:

no, I just tried to writre down the answer you gave me and after I put it on my credit card, the answer disappeared.

Dr. Rick :

sorry about that. You should be able to print this chat if you have a printer. Just right click and hit print or, on some browsers, right click, select all, copy. Then open a word processing program, hit paste and then either save to your hard drive and/or print.

Dr. Rick :

You should also be able to come back to this thread even after you push The Pretty Green Button and review the answer at any time.

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Does that help?

Customer:

Makes sence. I just couldn't understand the halo.

Dr. Rick :

The good news is that it is very easy to fix. :o)