Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

what would cause one eye to be swollen shut, most of the swelling

what would cause one eye to be swollen shut, most of the swelling is from the inside corner of the eye to the nose?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. I'm here to help you with your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB : Is the area red and tender? Is there any greenish, copious diischarge? How about fevers?
Customer:

none of these. she told me she sees a little red spot, but it is not itchy.

Doctor DanB : Is the eyeball red or is the vision significantly affected? How about double vision? How old is your daughter?
Customer:

she is 35, and wears contacts so she cannot see well without them in and of course she did not put them in today, not sue about the eyeball, i am waiting for her to call me back so that I can answer these questions correctly.

Doctor DanB :

If this is primarily an eyelid problem, meaning the eyeball is not significantly red, the vision is not signficantly affected, and/or there is no double vision, then this is either likely a skin infection (cellulitis) or an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction causes the skin to swell significantly in a very short amount of time. The swelling is a boggy, squishy type of swelling, usually without significant redness or tenderness to it, although it may be mildly red and somewhat scaly. If the skin is red and tender and/or there is discharge, and/or hurts the eye to move or there is a focal spot of redness/pain/discharge then this could be an infection.

Customer:

no redness on eyeball, tender to touch, feels like filled with fluid, she said she looks like she was stung by a bee, but no bite mark.

Doctor DanB :

A little red spot amongst the swelling could be a nidus of infection or it could be a stye that is causing swelling around it. If that is the case, however, then there is likely a secondary infection of the tissues around it because normally a stye does not cause the eyelid to swell shut entirely.

Doctor DanB :

If the skin is tender then it may be an infection associated with a stye. I would recommend that she use warm compresses several times per day on that bump, trying to massage it to get it to go away. But it also sounds like the could benefit from some antibiotics if there is significant tenderness. She should see her eye doctor to get these prescribed for her.

Customer:

she says there is no pain, just feels tender to the touch and squishy.

Doctor DanB :

Okay, then this is likely an allergic reaction. i would recommend that she use cool compresses several times/day, take an antihistamine like claritin or zyrtec and to also use artificial tears to help with discomfort. Also using 1% hydrocortisone ointment on the swollen area twice daily will help the swelling to resolve over 1-2 weeks.

Customer:

thank you very much, this was helpful!

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome. is there any other question I can help you with?

Customer:

however i am not sure about the hydrocortisone cream on the eye!

Doctor DanB :

I would suggest using the ointment form and only on the eyelid. The ointment form usually won't run into the eye and if only a small amount is used on the skin only, thee are usually no eye problems that result from this.

Customer:

okay, thank you!

Doctor DanB :

Anything else I can help you with?

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you.

This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology