Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Starting about 4 hours ago I though I saw reflections in

Starting about 4 hours ago I though I saw "reflections" in my right eye. Since then it has become darker, says fixed (though is growing) and is clearly a broken blood vessel, I would say. It is red, and I see it in my field of vision as going from the lower area nr. the nose, up and across the eye. It spiders out at the end. What should I do. It is a holiday, as you know, and nobody is avaiable except the hospital emergency room, where there will not be an eye specialist.
Thank you for any advice you can give.
Eugene Johnson
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answwer:

It appears that you are experiencing the symptoms of eye conditions such as vitreous hemorrhage (bleeding) with or without association with retinal bleeding. The fact that you have cirrhosis and hypertension significantly increases your risk for eye bleed. At this point, it is important that you contact your eye doctor, preferrably retinal eye doctor, to exclude that you do not have associated retinal detachment that needs immediate attention. In general, if there is no retinal detachment, the vitreous bleed would slowly resorb into the body. However, it may spread out or appear to worsen as it clears up, which may take up to 1-2 months. Be sure that your blood pressure is under good control. If you are currently taking aspirin, I suggest that you stop for at least 1-2 weeks. If you are taking other blood thinners such as Plavix or Coumadin, I suggest that you consult with your doctor for more specific instructions. If you are experiencing decreased vision, eye pain, flashes or severe floaters, I suggest that you go to the emergency room for closer evaluation. It is important that you consider going to the emergency room for dilated eye examination, to exclude retinal detachment.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.