Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

WHAT CAN WE DO FOR FLASH BURNS FROM WELDING

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do not use any of the visine products that say "get the red out" ...... this will just irritate things more.

Dr. Rick :

The good news about welding flash burns? You, after the pain resolves, will be fine. There will be no long term damage to your eyes.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat. When did this happen?

Customer:

WHAT CAN WE DO TO SOOTH THE PAIN

Dr. Rick :

Go to the store, walmart, a pharmacy, even some large grocery stores, and purchase some lacrilube or refresh PM ointment (there are many brand names.....just look for tear replacement/dry eye ointment)

Dr. Rick :

hold down your lower eyelid and goop up the affected eye(s) and then put cold compresses/ice packs on your eyes. Keep them closed or just go to sleep.

Dr. Rick :

You should be back to normal within 24 hours of the flash burns. For the pain, you can also take any type of pain reliever you have around the house. Unfortunately, it is gonna hurt.....nothing really short of strong narcotics, which would just knock you out while the skin regrows on your cornea, will take away all of the pain and discomfort.

Dr. Rick :

Like I said, however, when it is all said and done your eyes will not be damaged in the least.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

YES IS THERE ANYTHIM

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

This is a very painful condition but it doesn't do any serious damage.......

Customer:

ANYTHING YOU COULD CALL IN THE

Customer:

THE PAIN IS UNBELIEVABLE

Dr. Rick :

No. The only thing that takes away this pain is narcotics and you can't call those in.

Dr. Rick :

I understand. If you go to the ER they may give you some medium strength pain meds, but it is still gonna hurt.........nothing, really, can be done about that.

Customer:

THERES NO TYPE OF DROPS

Dr. Rick :

Just look at the positive side. When your wife/girlfriend is in labor and complaining about the pain, you can tell you have experienced worse :o) After the words leave your lips, I advise you to jump quickly backwards away from her lol!

Dr. Rick :

Numbing drops will stop the pain....and stop the healing process and could lead to corneal perforation and loss of the eye.....better to suffer the pain.

Dr. Rick :

And next time don't look at the arc ;)

Dr. Rick :

Us guys really don't do pain well. It is genetic.

Customer:

LOL THIS IS HIS MOM AND LOW AND BEHOLD JUST FOUND OUT THE GIRLFRIEND IS PREGNANT

Dr. Rick :

The above treatment should bring it down to a level you can tolerate

Dr. Rick :

THAT brings a great big smile to my face!

Dr. Rick :

I was wondering how he was doing such a good job of typing with bilateral flash burns.....thanks Mom!

Dr. Rick :

And congrats on the new, upcoming Grandbaby

Dr. Rick :

My system showed you were typing but nothing posted........

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do to help the new, suffering, father?

Customer:

THANKS MY FIRST

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. He will be fine......

Dr. Rick :

It is now safe to press that Pretty Green Button so that my poor, starving, barefoot, daughters can buy new shoes and, once again, feel safe from the mean, nasty snakes, as they walk through the tall grass.

Customer:

THANK YOU SO MUCH I WILL GO GET THE OINTMENT FROM CVS

Dr. Rick :

OK. Have a good day and make sure to give your son a hard time for at least a few months about looking at the arc light =) I know my Mom would never let me live it down!

Dr. Rick :

Take care. Bye.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest