Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

what would cause what appears to be a small blood blister by

what would cause what appears to be a small blood blister by the eye to suddenly appear?

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the symptom of subconjunctival bleeding from rupture of some tiny blood vessels in the white part of the eye. This is common, and usually not harmful. It would usually resorb into the eye over 1-2 weeks without any side effect on the vision. It is likely that you unintentionally rubbed the eye at night or at any other time, and caused the vessels to rupture. It can also occur after a valsalva pressure including after coughing, sneezing and/or belching. To help speed the resolution, I suggest that you use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh plus or Genteal tears 4 times daily in each eye for 1-2 weeks. It is expected that the color of the blood may change in the coming days or appear worse as the blood resorbs into the body. If you are currently taking aspirin, I suggest that you hold off from taking it for 1-2 weeks. However, if you are taking other blood thinners like Plavix or Coumadin, I suggest that consult with you doctor. Do not worry, it would go away. However, if the blood presists after 2 weeks, or you experience decrease vision or eye pain at any time, please call and follow-up with your eye doctor immediately.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.