Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

my grandson has a condtion that i know very little about

my grandson has a condtion that i know very little about when he was in the womb his eyes did not fully develope so the back of his eyes have holes in them they also say if he has black ness at eny time he has to go to hospital staight away apparently this is found alot in the african community can u give me a answer please thank u
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer: Sorry about your grandson. Please, I need few questions answered if you can, in order to make the best assessment of the type of eye problem your grandson has.

Does any body in the family has such eye problem from young age? Are both eyes affected? Was there a mention of bleeding in the eye by the doctors? any floaters in the eye? Is the eye condition getting worse? Can he see with either eye? What vision problems does he talk about? can he make out people face or objects?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no diteriataion so far no family history both eyes afected no mention of bleeding as i know of he has as i know of eye sight staight ahead but does well at school he can make out objects and faceces he has had this since birth i think so i have been told he may be able to drive when older no spots or floaters i far as i know
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much?

Do you mean that the problem is mostly with eye sight straight ahead? or Is the eye sight straight ahead very good?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the eye sight very good but this condition is something that happens when the eye is forming in the womb i believe that the eye developes from the front to the back and the back has not met but i was told it is caused buy somthing which is generealy found in the black comunity i hope u are able to answer eny imformation that leads to the cause of his conditionand will he loos his eye sight later on in life
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that your grandson has a retinal degenerative condition which can slowly cause worsened vision, either central vision (straight ahead) or peripheral vision (side vision) depending on the type. Most of the childhood retinal eye degeneration that affect central vision in the macular include Stargart disease, Best disease, Juvenile X-link retinoschsis, cone-rod dystrophy among others. The childhood retinal degeneration that affect mostly side vision include retinitis pigmentosa, which can be due to genetics, metabolic condition or infection of the mother during pregnancy by agents such as rubella. Sickle cell anemia (especially the SC type, seen in blacks) can also cause retinopathy and some degree of retinal degeneration. As with your grandson, I suggest that you encourage visit to the retinal eye doctor as scheduled on a regular basis, especially if there arises a complaint of new eye symptom. In the meantime, I suggest that you consult with his eye doctor to determine if any specific multivitamin supplement including Vitamin A supplements, I-caps or PreserVision caps could be beneficial in slowing the progression of the retinal degeneration. Also, I would like to mention that there are many new developments currently used in the management of retinal degeneration, and having the right retinal eye doctor can make a big difference in outcome. Please, I encourage you to persist in your efforts. Please, ask his eye doctor for the specific name of the retinal eye condition.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.