Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hi, my eye lid has been feeling heavy and a little strange

my eye lid has been feeling heavy and a little strange for over a year now and ive noticed it is drooping..is this pstosis..or are there other serious implications?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

hi,

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any swelling of the lid in the affected eye?

Customer:

hi yes i am thank you..

Customer:

no not really..about a week ago iwoke up and my eye lid seemed a little swollen, thought it might be a spider but it went away the next day and hasnt reoccured.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are right about a drooping lid being called as ptosis .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But heaviness in the upper lid for over an year is a long time.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

So the affected eye appears smaller than the other eye?

Customer:

ok..so what does this mean..should i be worried that it may become worse? i know..but i thought nothing of it but it seems more evident now..

Customer:

yes..

Customer:

slightly, but getting more i think..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

First of all, ptosis is not a very common diagnosis that we can get to see in day to day practice. So other causes for a heavy lid can be considered first such as chronic blepharitis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Blepharitis is the inflammation of the lid margin and often occurs from blockage of tiny oil secreting glands present in the lids.

Customer:

ah ha...so whatcan i do, if thats the case?

Customer:

im also using alot of tears natural eye drops..i have a callus growing inmy eye and i washit out very ofetn so it doesnt grow..does this affect my eye glands?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The treatment of this includes- warm compresses 2-3 times a day, lid scrub done gently with the help of finger tips, application of 50:50 diluted baby shampoo to the lids daily for 2 weeks. This helps to remove any kind of blockage of the tiny glands.

Customer:

cause to be honest, since i started using these eye drops my eye has started to feel heavy..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Can you describe the appearance of the "callus" in the eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Natural tears are good for the eye especially the preservative free ones.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

They help to treat dry eyes, which is quite common.

Customer:

sorry..cant remeber the medical term for it..its a little growth, usually on the side of the iris..its a build up of calcium..and grows with sunexposure...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Pterygium

Customer:

i was just making sure, thinkingcause my eyelids are constantly wet for most of the day that they may dry and block my glands?....yes! thats it..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Now a pterygium is not exactly a cause for ptosis. Nor will it cause heaviness in the lid.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is basically a kind of conjunctival degeneration seen following exposure to sunlight /dust/dirt.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Natural tears help to give a soothening effect.

Customer:

i know...i just mention it because of the amount of tears natural im using, would the drying of the tears naturla that im constantly using, affect my eye lids glands? particles that dry up and leave residue..im trying to finger why maybe my glands are blocked inmy eye..

Customer:

so basically if my eye hasnt drooped more and isnt progressing it is not pstosis? maybe just a blocked gland?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would suggest that you try out the treatment for blepharitis explained above ( it kind of explains the presence of dry eyes, residue, heaviness in the lid) for about 2-3 weeks ( is a bit slow and results are seen only after 2-3 weeks).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, if the eye does not droop further , and you have symptoms suggestive of blepharitis, then the above treatment should be effective.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But in case of a progressive droop in the upperlid, it would be better to get evaluated closely by an ophthalmologist ( eye MD), so that the exact cause is detected and treated accordingly.

Customer:

and the strange sensation i have in my eye..heavy but strange feeling..is this the result of blepharitis? of should i maybe just go check it out then?

Customer:

it feels like myeye is shrinking..seems smaller not so much drooping to behonest..sorry shold have mention that before

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is the vision in that eye? Is ther any redness/pain?

Customer:

no nothing..just a strange senstation to it..heavy..not sore but there..cant expain exactly..

Customer:

fine, my vision is fine

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok, no pain/redness/reduced vision , helps to rule out acute causes in the eye( shrinking eye).

Customer:

no non of that..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any itching sensation in that eye? Any known allergies?

Customer:

no, just feel my 'callus' sometimes..no allergies

Customer:

just heavy, slightly pressured feeling..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case , the vague disconfort in the eye is likely from a progressive pterygium and associated blepharitis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

"discomfort"

Customer:

yea, discomfort

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But It would help to evert the upper eyelid in the affected eye to see the under surface of it and look for anything there.

Customer:

no nothing there..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer:

ok..so nothing serious then?? phew! ill do what you have suggested..hot presseses..can i just use a warm towle?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well, in that case do try the treatment for blepharitis explained earlier and in case of no improvement , get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist. Yes, you can use a warm towel.

Customer:

thank you very then..have abeautiful day

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. Have a good day too.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince