Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

This morning I went to put my contact in and when I put the

This morning I went to put my contact in and when I put the contact in, the lense went up into my eye. I managed to get the contact out. The right eye lid feels heavy. I did apply cold compresses like you said but it doesn't seem to be helping. I still have a slight headache in lace of my eye lid.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You may have given yourself a small corneal abrasion when you tried to take the stuck contact lens out.

Dr. Rick :

This really should heal within 24 hours with no problem. To make it feel better get some lacrilube ointment (or something like it), hold down your lower lid and put a large goopy amount in your eye. Then put a cold compress on the eye and keep it closed/go to bed.

Dr. Rick :

In the morning everything should be fine.

Dr. Rick :

It you are still having problem in the morning I suggest you see an ophthalmologist.

Customer:

would that explain the heaviness above my eye and the same headache I had for the past three days?

Dr. Rick :

No. I wouldn't expect this condition to last 3 days....has it been that long since you had go fishing for the lost lens?

Customer:

no, I did get the lens out but the heaviness has been for three days

Customer:

I have't changed my contacts in a month

Dr. Rick :

That is a long time to keep in one set of lenses.......

Dr. Rick :

So. Let me make sure I got this right. Three days ago you had to dig out a wayward contact lens and since then your eyelid has felt heavy

Dr. Rick :

Is that right?

Customer:

Three days ago, I had heaviness and a headache but when I got up this morning to put the contact in, the contact lens went up.

Dr. Rick :

ok. Now I understand.

Dr. Rick :

Migraines can cause a heavyness in the eyelid, so can a number of medical conditions like MS.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you should have a complete exam by an ophthalmologist this week to see if she can get to the bottom of your problem.

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense?

Dr. Rick :

I doubt this is related to the lost contact lens....

Customer:

yes

Customer:

Wasn't sure about the lens but just wanted to make sure

Dr. Rick :

Yup. No need to worry about the lens or a scratch on the cornea like I first mentioned. And, as you already found out, cold compresses aren't gonna help. But a complete eye exam should be able to find the root cause of your troubles.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

ok. Thank you for your help

Dr. Rick :

I don't think it is an emergeny, but I'd try to get in this week if possible.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.