Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

healthy in every respect, eating, sleeping, pooping etc

Customer Question

My son is now 3 months and two weeks old. He was born two months prematurely. He is healthy in every respect, eating, sleeping, pooping etc. His weight is about 14 pounds now but he was 4.8 pounds at birth. His hearing appears to be normal. This is my first child and I am wondering about his vision. He always seems to look either to the extreme right or left. Not sure what he is looking at. When I can engage him visually, he is very focused on my face and is now responding to my facial expressions. He can be very intense with his gaze. Many times however, when I talk with him, he seems not to notice my face and continues to focus either left or rght of my face. I have to really try hard to bring him into focus with my face. Once he gets it, he is very aware and continues to focus but when others hold him, he rarely will look at them directly. With some effort, they can usually get him to look at them. Just wondering if there are any concerns here.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Oops....you hit the Pretty Green Button too early!

I'm online now, and owe you an excellent answer. Let's get started, shall we?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like your child is doing the normal visual activities for a kid his age. It is common for babies to focus better on their mom's face then strangers or even the fathers face.

I don't think you have anything to be worried about. As far as his birth weight he should, all other things being equal, be a low risk for ROP (a disease of the retina in preemies)

Does this make sense to you? Are you less worried now? :o)

Of course, if you are still concerned, a complete eye exam by an pediatric ophthalmologists should put all fears to rest.....

I've had 5 kids and I remember how scary the first one was! You and your son sound like you're doing fine. =)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.